Char Siu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2016
Southwest Idaho
Okay, jumping on the Char Siu bandwagon. I totally ripped off this recipe.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?threads/some-pork-butt-char-siu.265862/

The differences were that I marinated for 18 hours. As a result, I didn’t salt before smoking. The marinade was mixed, brought to a simmer and cooled before adding the pork. I also finished in the oven after three hours because in 35 degree weather, my smoker won’t go above 240. I did baste four times during the cooking process.

I only took a couple of pictures. I missed the final product before plating. Sides are Jasmine rice and kale braised with onion and garlic, and finished with soy sauce and black bean/garlic sauce.

3BF6B42D-A5E9-40BA-844A-4C57A7ADFA6C.jpeg

30C38CAB-10CE-41D2-901B-B73316E393E7.jpeg

68F08960-4D36-45EF-B7D6-D0F2E9D1C4D4.jpeg

The takeaways are that I will dial back the salt a touch by only basting once or twice during cooking. There’s also a little something that needs to be adjusted that I can’t figure out. Fortunately, I will be nibbling on the leftovers for the next several days trying to figure it out. :)

That does look good,haven't had kale in ages, sounds good with the Black Bean sauce.Points
Richie

Look tasty!

Here's a few things to consider that may get you closer to restaurant style Char siu. Maltose (dark molasses could be subbed but wont quite be the same) and honey instead of sugar. White pepper also needs to be added. Another item you can add would be oyster sauce.

I've never salted the meat. There is enough salt in the marinade. Not sure why the original poster did that.

Maltose can be hard to find. I get it at the health food stores. You can order it on Amazon too.

Note that the cure is only being used as a coloring agent and not for curing the meat.

Here's a couple base recipe that I have used.

(5 pounds of meat)
260 g soy sauce
220 g hoisin sauce
200 g sugar (110grams maltose 110 grams honey)
114 g Shaoxing Chinese rice wine
60 g grated fresh ginger
25 g toasted sesame oil
20 g garlic, minced
5 g five-spice powder
2 g ground white pepper
1 g pink curing salt #1
15 g red food coloring (optional)

(1 pound of meat)
1 1/2 tablespoons maltose
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rose wine
1/4 teaspoon hite pepper powder
3 drops red coloring (optional)
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Reactions: zwiller
NICE! Just something similar for a small cutlet for fried rice. Closer to DS 2nd version.

I gotta ask as I am on a cantonese bender. I have plenty of books and cannot nail authentic cantonese sauces and I have the proper ingredients. White, brown, red(szechuan) sauce. I am lead to believe I need to make a master stock to build these sauces but details are scarce. I am thinking something with dried scallop and other things like fish sauce. Any pointers?

Look tasty!

Here's a few things to consider that may get you closer to restaurant style Char siu. Maltose (dark molasses could be subbed but wont quite be the same) and honey instead of sugar. White pepper also needs to be added. Another item you can add would be oyster sauce.

I've never salted the meat. There is enough salt in the marinade. Not sure why the original poster did that.

Maltose can be hard to find. I get it at the health food stores. You can order it on Amazon too.

Note that the cure is only being used as a coloring agent and not for curing the meat.

Here's a couple base recipe that I have used.

(5 pounds of meat)
260 g soy sauce
220 g hoisin sauce
200 g sugar (110grams maltose 110 grams honey)
114 g Shaoxing Chinese rice wine
60 g grated fresh ginger
25 g toasted sesame oil
20 g garlic, minced
5 g five-spice powder
2 g ground white pepper
1 g pink curing salt #1
15 g red food coloring (optional)

(1 pound of meat)
1 1/2 tablespoons maltose
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rose wine
1/4 teaspoon hite pepper powder
3 drops red coloring (optional)
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

Thanks, ds! You haven’t led me wrong yet. I was thinking less sugar and more honey. I know where I can get Maltose.

NICE! Just something similar for a small cutlet for fried rice. Closer to DS 2nd version.

I gotta ask as I am on a cantonese bender. I have plenty of books and cannot nail authentic cantonese sauces and I have the proper ingredients. White, brown, red(szechuan) sauce. I am lead to believe I need to make a master stock to build these sauces but details are scarce. I am thinking something with dried scallop and other things like fish sauce. Any pointers?

Not a clue. I’ll do some research and see what I can find.

Dried shrimp is used as is dried dashi. Kombu is another item that brings out a ton of flavor. I put Kombu in all stocks that I make now.

Yes on the fish sauce. Another common stock would be pork bone stock (which could have dashi in it too). To really get intense stock these are simmered for days. Adding water as needed.

Reactions: zwiller
Maltose (dark molasses could be subbed but wont quite be the same) and honey instead of sugar.

I used to use Maltose for char siu, but switched to using brewers light malt syrup and didn't notice any different. Maltose is a pain to use because it is sooooo thick and sticky - probably the reason why it's used for this :) I would probably use corn syrup instead of molasses if I could not find maltose or brewers malt. I think molasses has too strong of a flavor.

Thanks DS. I am led to believe there is really no real wrong way to go here but plain ole chicken stock is NOT the answer.

WRT maltose. I am huge fan of using real stuff and a long time homebrewer, but I would imagine maltose would not be a critical ingredient, there's just so much else going on in that sauce. That said, malt extract would be great sub if you still wanted to use it. Honestly, the version I made has even less ingredients than the 2nd posted recipe and it is already far superior than anything I remember having.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky