Char Siu Pork Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ADC

Original poster
Jul 15, 2021
Started with a 12# Kurobota pork belly with no skin. Cut in 3 sections of about 4# each and the other 8# is being cured for bacon. This 4# belly was marinated for 24 hours using a recipe from Serious Eats.
https://www.seriouseats.com/grilling-smoked-pork-belly
Indirect smoke on PK grill with Fogo charcoal and couple of Apple wood chunks at temps between 260 to 300 F. Wrapped with pink butcher paper after about 3 hours and internal temp was 170F. Finished it in oven at 250F with final temp of belly at 198F.
Belly was very rich with great asian flavors. It was fall apart tender and moist with all the fat.

I tend to wrap to color and this was darker than I prefer to wrap. Probably pull at 190F and let rest the next time I do one. I will make sure to watch the bacon temp closely and pull at 150F.

This made some fantastic fried rice, too!

IMG_3657.jpeg IMG_3658.jpeg

I love pork belly or side pork as commonly called around here.
I usually slice and give it a pan sear and render down the fat a bit.

Never thought about char sui on belly. Why do you go to pulled pork temps?

Looks good. I'm curious about the high IT as well. Sliced 1/4" thick and seared, that Char Siu Belly would be great in Bao, Steamed Buns...JJ

I love pork belly or side pork as commonly called around here.
I usually slice and give it a pan sear and render down the fat a bit.

Never thought about char sui on belly. Why do you go to pulled pork temps?

I try to render out as much fat as possible. I did not want it to reach that high and will shoot for 190F next time. It is all experimental. Did not really want to achieve bacon texture at 150F

Looks good. I'm curious about the high IT as well. Sliced 1/4" thick and seared, that Char Siu Belly would be great in Bao, Steamed Buns...JJ

Great idea for filling on siopao!

Forgot to add, pork belly was out resting and pulled a small piece to taste. Then everybody want some. Cut a slice about 1.5" and did a rough chop and made a few sliders to make everyone happy. The picture of slices was the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky