Census.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ya I agree.. it's hard not to be suspicious of privacy issues these days, especially with what we've seen happen when we register at some sites on the internet, not to mention that the census is semi-privatized this year.

The 10 question census don't bother me as much as the American Community Survey.
http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/SQuest05.pdf

Some questions from the survey>>>

"Housing"
"Does this house, apartment, or mobile
home have COMPLETE kitchen facilities;
that is, 1) a sink with piped water, 2) a
stove or range, and 3) a refrigerator?"

"Is there telephone service available in this
house, apartment, or mobile home from
which you can both make and receive
calls?"

"Which FUEL is used MOST for heating this
house, apartment, or mobile home?"

"LAST MONTH, what was the cost of
electricity for this house,
apartment, or mobile home?"

"At any time DURING THE PAST
12 MONTHS, did anyone in this
household receive Food Stamps?"

"Do you or any member of this
household have a second mortgage
or a home equity loan on THIS
property?"

"What is the main reason members of this
household are staying at this address?"

"Person 1"
"Where was this person born?"

"Is this person a CITIZEN of the United States?"

"Did this person live in this house or
apartment 1 year ago?"

If not, "Where did this person live 1 year ago?"

"Because of a physical, mental, or emotional
condition lasting 6 months or more, does this
person have any difficulty in doing any of the
following activities:"

"Has this person given birth to any children in
the past 12 months?"

"Does this person have any of his/her own
grandchildren under the age of 18 living in
this house or apartment?"

"LAST WEEK, did this person do ANY work for
either pay or profit?"

"At what location did this person work LAST WEEK?"

"How did this person usually get to work LAST
WEEK?"

"What time did this person usually leave home to
go to work LAST WEEK?"

"For whom did this person work?"

"What kind of business or industry was this?"

"What was this person’s total income during the
PAST 12 MONTHS?"

American Community Survey Blog.
http://www.notoacs.blogspot.com/

Let's not confuse which mailings we get:

The National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) and the Republican National Committee (RNC) recently sent out deceptive political fundraising letters that looked like U.S. Census letters so they could fill their campaign accounts with cash from a misleading and deceptive fake census letter, leaving taxpayers like us to foot the bill!
The Census Bureau was concerned that these misleading mailings would undermine response rates for the official census forms, which arrive in mailboxes next week. By misleading and confusing Americans about which forms to return, lower mail response rates of census forms increase government costs because a census employee is sent to every home that does not respond by mail.

The US Census estimates every one percent decrease in the mail response rate costs taxpayers approximately $85 million to send census workers back to re-count.

political threads even ones with vauge references have no place on a bbq site I want to belong to.

I agree 100%, having left forums that developed a one-sided political point of view. They tend to be angry, insulting and close minded. I do not think this thread has those characteristics, yet. People are expressing their opinions about privacy.

Al

its all good(ill just stop reading these threads as I was advised to do.

I agree with you 100%, but threads like these can turn nasty pretty quick, doesnt really serve the overall purpose of SMF imho. I come here to talk & read about bbq, plenty of other places to chat about other issues.

I'm a bit torn on this subject and here is why. These types of conversations will come up at any given time in any given forum and there will be participaters as well as haters, can't change that, it's just a fact. While I completely agree this is a BBQ/Meat Smoking site and more often than not that is what I want/expect to read when I visit here. That being said I also understand why people that share a common interest, like BBQ, would want to discuss things that fall outside of the BBQ world. That is how we socialize. While I have never moderated or ran any type of forum I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a place aptly named Hell, or The Pit or whatever. Type up a discalimer of sorts that people have to acknowledge before entering and that is where ALL threads that are not BBQ in nature go. That way people from both sides have a choice. Kind of like the whole channels on the TV thing, if you don't like what your watching, change the channel! My .02 cents.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you about having a no holds barred political room on this forum. People's feelings get hurt and opinions are developed about other members. A cancer of disrespect spreads throughout the entire forum. At least this has been my experience. This forum offers many other places to chat about topics other than BBQ, gardening for example. Political and Religious discussions are flammable. I would think the moderators of this site have neither the time nor inclination to keep such a forum tepid. We have the right to invite our friends to other more appropriate sites to have these discussions

I understand what your saying but I think you missed the point. Prior to entering, "Hell" you dawn your flame suit cause you know the heat will be high in there. Hence the discalimer. To quote an old saying, "if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" or in this case hell lol. Point being it is hands off for the mods, what happens in there stays in there so if your the type the gets your feelings hurt easily then you ought to know not to even enter in the first pllace. Nothing gets modded, enter at your own risk. I can see though how it might bleed into the general forums by careless users and that would surely increase modding activity. Hmmmm more food for thought, thanks for your input!

Back on topic. Havn't seen the ?'s yet but I'll submit my info to do my part.

I agree 100% - this topic and other political topics do not belong on this site at all. This has been a very friendly and supportive place for folks to support each other in the food and smoked food arena and this has no business being discussed here. There are plenty of other places folks can go to discuss their political and religious beleifs what ever side they fall on. Lets keep this one for the purpose Jeff set it up - Smoking Meats etc
Just my .02

Names, ages, and "American" for race. Nothing more, nothing less.

Total in household: 3
Names:
Chuckie, Fattie, Angus

i am with ya on this one, i personally am not giving them any info. if they come to my house to ask q's then i would guess (in my smarta** opinion) that the gov already has my info. i mean they got my address,name, and whatever else just to get to my house. and the city has all my tax records so they dont need any more info from me.. ok enough ramblin.. sorry don't get me started..

Well, folks, just so ya know the mods have been watching this forum and so far it seems to have been a rather interesting discourse on a rather touchy subject.

To everyone's credit it has remained civil; certainly a major plus for the fine folks on this forum.

I, too, have seen discussions like this one turn very sour but it seems that the SMF has matured beyond that point. Thank you all for that.

True, this is a smoking forum. But the General Discussion and Jokes forums are meant to be the "social" part of the SMF. Good clean conversation and debate is encouraged and will be left untouched as long as it stays civil.

Thank you all

and

Cheers!

I will fill mine out completely and accurately. I'm not too paranoid about it. There are so many other ways for the bad guys to get an individual's personal information that this does not worry me.

I just answered 10 questions and sent it in.

I saw nothing personal on the questionare. Didn't ask you for your SS#, how much money you make or your sexual orientation
icon_rolleyes.gif
. Unless you have 16 people living in your household it should take you all of about 90 sec to complete.

This is exactly the attitude the feds want us to have. The feds take a bunch of our money, then give it back to our communities with strings attached. Many of the programs we have in our states, counties, and cities aren't economically feasible to do so, but since we get 'federal money' well then why not do it.

My city has a bus system with busses running all over town all day pretty much empty. They spend more than $3 per passenger mile to do so (compared to $.40/passenger mile that it costs to run a car. If there were no federal money to subsidize this waste, the city government certainly would not fund something so wasteful. However, since it comes like 'free federal dollars' we have a 'free' bus system.

I say its better for the feds to tax us less, the local governments to tax us more and we'll get services that are appropriate for the community. When all the local governments do everything they can to snatch up those beloved 'federal dollars' it removes the financial accountability from the local level.

If the feds stuck to their enumerated powers in article I section 8 of the constitution, they would need to collect about 10% of the tax they currently do.

If anyone is really worried about the identity theft thing, I can personally vouch for lifelock, I work as a finance manager and I don't have the program myself, but any time I try to get a loan for someone who does have lifelock, it is very obvious that they do a good job of protecting your identity. As for the census, I'm all for the government staying out of my life, but it looks more and more like no matter how much we struggle, it's still going to happen, at least with the current administration. I think if you really want to prevent government waste, you would fill it out accurately to avoid them spending money on fining, processing, etc...but imho, they're gonna waste the money on something else, by the way it's nice to see that we can all have a political discussion without someone running off crying, that's an EXTREMELY rare thing, especially on open forums, we should all be proud of that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky