Card Board / Plywood Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forkin pork

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
Hi everyone, I have a 10lb slab of pork belly that I'm gonna smoke 6hrs one day and 6 hrs the next day.
Since it is only 1 slab, I decided not to break out any of my heavy artillery smokers and don't want to do it on my WSM 22".

So I'm breaking out an old 1000w hot plate and gonna use my new A-Maze-N smoker tray.

I think most of you know where I'm going with this.

Now since this is gonna be a one time simple thing, I decided on doing my first cardboard box smoker with the hot plate and the pellet smoker tray.
My only question and/or reassurance is, do you feel that the 1000w plate is going to be enough to get temps up for cold smoking in a
2ft x 2ft x 3ft hi box, with temps around 40* f.

I'm sure it will be fine, but wanted to check and see if anyone has experience smoking with cardboard boxes and/or homemade plywood smokers around this size?

Another reason for asking is, maybe this will help someone in the future who is thinking on trying the "Smoking Meats" thing out, and just wants to keep things simple.

I think the 1000w plate will be plenty. I cold smoked some cheese last weekend when it was 12 degrees and the amazen tube held the smoker around 75ish. Granted, my smoker is insulated but with 40 degrees you may not need the plate at all if your goal is just to cold smoke.

wbf610, thanks for the come back, but I'd like to bring my temps up to 140*f and I don't think the tray alone will even come close to that with outside temps but 40-45*f and just being a cardboard box.

Reginald Ya know, I see what you and wbf610 are getting at, and this is more of an educational post, I think you both have valid statements.
But I think we can all agree that, I don't want to screw the pooch after the curing, and I am only going to use a cardboard box, for my first time, for simplicity reasons mostly.
So if a few members came back and said, (hay this hot plate is not enough, it's too cold out), then I would have to break out the gas burners.

But this is all good, I feel good about going forward with my cardboard box, and may have some insulation on standby, just in case. So with just these 2 replies, I'm ready.

I hate spoiling a project after 2,3 or even 4 weeks or more and I know some get upset that I ask too many questions, I just like reassurance in knowing that I'm at least on the right track, so thanks again.

Oh let me add that I would like to maintain temps around 120* to 140*f and with the electric plate I can use my Inkbird temp control, if I use gas then I don't have too much control.
Your all great and I enjoy the conversations thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Al, I haven't cold smoked in about 20 years, so I thought the temps had to be much higher. I guess if did some investigating I would have known that.
That's what I will be doing Thanks.

I would say if you wanted to use those temps, the hot plate would be enough. I have two in my smoker but usually only use one at 3/4 power for 180*. Should've clarified that in my first post when I said I would think 1000w plate would be plenty. Good luck!

wbf610, thanks for the come back, but I'd like to bring my temps up to 140*f and I don't think the tray alone will even come close to that with outside temps but 40-45*f and just being a cardboard box.

Reginald Ya know, I see what you and wbf610 are getting at, and this is more of an educational post, I think you both have valid statements.
But I think we can all agree that, I don't want to screw the pooch after the curing, and I am only going to use a cardboard box, for my first time, for simplicity reasons mostly.
So if a few members came back and said, (hay this hot plate is not enough, it's too cold out), then I would have to break out the gas burners.

But this is all good, I feel good about going forward with my cardboard box, and may have some insulation on standby, just in case. So with just these 2 replies, I'm ready.

I hate spoiling a project after 2,3 or even 4 weeks or more and I know some get upset that I ask too many questions, I just like reassurance in knowing that I'm at least on the right track, so thanks again.

Oh let me add that I would like to maintain temps around 120* to 140*f and with the electric plate I can use my Inkbird temp control, if I use gas then I don't have too much control.
Your all great and I enjoy the conversations thanks
I thought you were cold smoking.

Why not just cold smoke the bacon, anywhere between 40-90 degrees will work.
Al
This.

Thanks Al, I haven't cold smoked in about 20 years, so I thought the temps had to be much higher. I guess if did some investigating I would have known that.
That's what I will be doing Thanks.

There you go. The tray should be plenty.

I agree with just the pellet smoker... cut a few air vents (intake, exhaust) in the cardboard box set the tray by the intake vent and your on your way to some great smoky goodness... I have used the cardboard box/soldering iron method many of times for cold smoking (before I got the pellet smokers). I will say... if you use a box that the top is cut out and use it to just lower down over top of everything that's been set up on a table.. that table top will be covered (seasoned) with smoke...

I just done my first belly a couple of weeks ago and just put the tube in my Yoder it was a 40-50 degree day and it ran 70-90 the whole way

JC & Ed, thank you for that and thank you everyone. Going hunting for a nice box, after that I do believe I will be making a nicer smoker out of wood that I saved.
For now the cardboard box will do, as I hate the cold and I'm not going to stand outside (in the cold) and start cutting wood.
What can I say I'm a whimp. :(

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky