Can't maintain heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am having problems keeping my heat between 250-300 . I can maintain 210 with all 3 hole open .
Wow Chico, I never have a problem getting temps up. I usually need to shut down all but one 3/4 intake to maintain 220-250, and sometimes if the wind is cranking up on the mountain, I have the ball valve open about half way to get the job done.

It might help us if you could post a few pictures of your build, and what you are using for fuel and starting method.

Every UDS is unique and it takes a bit to get it dialed in, but once you do....."Katie Bar the Door" your going to love it!!

Hope this helps.

chico, evening.....  raise the charcoal basket up about 4" off the bottom of the UDS.... That will give room for air flow and ash to fall out....

Do you use an empty can in the middle of the charcoal to dump the lit briquettes into ??   Then pull the can out.... ( both ends need to be removed from the can by the way )  Using that method, I have read that 10 lit coals is enough to get the fire going and maintain temps .....  

Dave

Awesome ill try it out tomorrow thank you Dave !!!
Say Dave that's using lump coal correct ?

Last edited:
chico, evening.....  raise the charcoal basket up about 4" off the bottom of the UDS.... That will give room for air flow and ash to fall out....

Do you use an empty can in the middle of the charcoal to dump the lit briquettes into ??   Then pull the can out.... ( both ends need to be removed from the can by the way )  Using that method, I have read that 10 lit coals is enough to get the fire going and maintain temps .....  

Dave
Chico, Dave is a wise man and right on. I have my basket @ 3" above the bottom and use the minion method with the can.

Has not failed me yet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks papa grizz , ill try it out this evening . I have it at 2" right know , ill raise it up 2-3" and try to find the right spot thanks guys ......

I know it's been a while but I have been messing with my UDS and I've been cooking good 200 degrees . I still cannot get this sucker to go higher ..I raised my mention 4" higher and tried the can in the middle ...
Do y'all think maybe I need1" holes instead 3/4 " ? This if frustrating ........

If that much lump or charcoal is burning down quickly, say less than 7-8 hours, you may have too much draft going out the top end and loosing all the heat.

Try removing the long riser on valve in the pic...that tall riser may be trying to reverse or equalize the flow...should be going in to feed the fire, but is just not moving at all???

If you change the above and still don't have better results, and if it's burning slow and steady, but temps won't come up with 3 - 3/4" intakes, the inlet draft may be rising up between the sides of the basket and the drum and not making it far enough in towards the fuel. If you have threaded inlets on the drum, you could screw in 4-6" nipples (depending on the gap from the basket to the drum) to carry the intake air closer to the fuel.

Sounds like a finicky UDS, but let us know what you try next and how it works out...I curious about this one now.

Eric

Thanks Eric I appreciate the info ill get the material this week and try it out ..... In smoking right know and it's at 200-210 with everything open ..... I have the 2" exhaust closed half way ....

OK to add to this thread... I cooked my first brisket yesterday on my 6 mo. old UDS. I really wasn't real satisfied with the results.

!) Didn't have a proper smoke ring as far as I was concerned (mostly my fault as I didn't have an adequate supply of chips)
2) I didn't like the consistency of the meat although it was cooked thru, it seemed a little rubbery. 9Lb brisket cooked 9 hours, removed @ 170* wrapped with foil, continued to 195* wrapped in towels and rested for two hours. suggestion?
3) Charcoal seemed to loose heat after about 7 hours (Kingsford reg) ... I am using a basket of expanded metal and an expanded metal bottom (#9 X 3/4), would a grate bottom be better for ash disposal?

Thanks in advance
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky