canning venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't see a problem with cold smoking for 30 min. First. I would try a small batch first with a few cold smoked and a few with a couple drops of liquid smoke and see which you like best.

Considering canned meat products are usually recommended to be "cubed or strips" when pressure canned, I would cube/strip then smoke for 15 minutes (In my previous experience) and pressure can 1 jar.... just for a test... then taste for smoke and spices etc.... modify the recipe and try 1 more jar.... etc.... It would be a shame to can a bunch of meat you didn't like...
Try browned, non browned, with gravy (as several recipes recommend)....
Have you read the "accepted" canning instructions from the USDA etc .???

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/strips_cubes_chunks.html

I put all my shank and lower leg meat into jars with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and a teaspoon of seasoning salt.  Cans up great, kids love it.  I do this with waterfowl as well.  Believe it or not, the kids can't really tell if it's duck or deer stew.  I can, but it's a subtle texture thing.

Next batch I do I am going to sear on the grill first to add some smoke and char to the meat.

Slice of onion in the bottom of jar, meat, and teaspoon of seasoned salt is all I use and it is very versatile for a quick meal.

Barry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky