Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
Picked up two large pork loins on sale again. Question: do y'all trim all the silver skin on that one side or slice it off when consuming? If left on, will the Cure penetrate? At the same rate? I don't mind cutting it off when consuming.

Rick

Question: do y'all trim all the silver skin on that one side or slice it off when consuming?

I've made a couple tons of Canadian bacon and always trim everything off before starting the cure. All the silver skin and fat, everything. Get it down to pure clean meat and have at it.

Robert

Reactions: Cabo and Cody_Mack
I trim the silver skin and most of the fat. Here is an example of how I trim loins.
3o1xxY1.jpg

Picked up two large pork loins on sale again. Question: do y'all trim all the silver skin on that one side or slice it off when consuming? If left on, will the Cure penetrate? At the same rate? I don't mind cutting it off when consuming.

Rick
Certainly is not an absolute have to thing, but if you clean them up like thirdeye thirdeye illustrated, the finished product is absolutely top shelf quality.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
I get rid of the silver skin , and any nasty fat that I wouldn't eat . If it has a nice fat cap , I trim to 1/4 " or so . I used to clean them up completely , but now like some fat left on if it's clean .
20181021_133208.jpg
A fat cap also lets you score , glaze and double smoke a hunk .
20200614_170215.jpg

I agree with Chopsaw:
Silver skin has to go, but we get so little fat on ours, I leave it all on.
If we got a lot, I would leave at least 1/4" on.
I love a little Pork Fat, especially Smoked!

Bear

Thanks all. I figured that, just trying to get off easy of course. I will follow y'all's lead and do it up right. Need to get my hands on a good skinning knife. These also have very little fat, which I would leave on.

Thanks all. I figured that, just trying to get off easy of course. I will follow y'all's lead and do it up right. Need to get my hands on a good skinning knife. These also have very little fat, which I would leave on.
For this kind of work I really like a fillet knife, that is scary sharp. They are somewhat inexpensive, and easy to sharpen.

One more thought on trimming.... We eat with our eyes first. And with things like Canadian bacon or Buckboard bacon, it's easy to make it look good.
9ZAciko.jpg
moHhzCG.jpg

Here's the thread if you're interested .

Reactions: Cody_Mack
For this kind of work I really like a fillet knife, that is scary sharp. They are somewhat inexpensive, and easy to sharpen.

One more thought on trimming.... We eat with our eyes first. And with things like Canadian bacon or Buckboard bacon, it's easy to make it look good.
View attachment 527572
View attachment 527573
Nice colors! I agree, presentation is everything. Even if just for yourself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky