Can I wash off the pork belly brine and start over?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AwaitingTheFish

Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Welcome aboard.

Just so we're all on the same page.... when you used the calculator can we assume you entered the correct weight of meat, and the actual amount of water you are using? Or was there an error that caused you to use more Cure #1 than you believe is correct? Also where did you arrive at the 3 and 5 days of curing?

Scaled up a recipe that called for 3/4 teaspoons of Prague powder for 3 #s of pork belly (https://fundiegofamily.com/cooking/cole-cooks-big-green-egg-smoked-bacon-recipe/), but used 2.25 Tablespoons instead (multiplied .75 t x 3 = 2.25 t, but misread and used Tablespoons). Because the recipe was for 3 pounds and I had a piece of pork belly that was just shy of 10 # (9.9), I added a generous extra pinch of Prague Powder on top of that.

Then landed on the above calculator that explained how bad my approach was, and how much more Prague Powder I used than I should have, and why that was a Bad Thing.

The calculator at the above link contains a section that specifies a length of cure based on the shape and thickness of the meat. I cut the 9.9 # slab of pork belly into 3 (to fit in my zip-lock bags). 2 of those pieces are 1.5" thick, the other, 2". The calculator says to brine the 1.5" pieces for 3 days, and the 2" piece for 5 days. Of course, now that I think of it, maybe I need to treat them as 3-3# pieces and see what the calculator has to say...

Officially I’m going to tell you to through it out and start completely over. This gets very technical and can be confusing for new at curing. Be safe and learn from the mistake.

Pm me if you want to know more of the technical details.

I am far from an expert on the cure formulas.

Did you remove from the wet batch cure after you realized your mistake? If not , I would toss it.
That should be enough cure to let it sit dry for 3 days

Kudos for taking the interest in further checking and finding your mistake.... Mistakes are a VAlUABLE learning experience you will NOT soon forget.....

3.9 cups for the brine. 1.55 cups of water, 1.55 cups maple syrup, .8 cups of bourbon

For conversation purposes let's not worry about the specific gravity of maple syrup, and assume bourbon is close to water. So, this gives us roughly 8 cups of liquid.... which Mr Google claims is 1890 grams. To this weight, you have roughly 4,540 grams of pork belly. Which means in your curing bucket you have a total of 6,430 grams OR 6.43 kilograms.

The amount of Cure #1 you need is 2.5 g/kg which is:
2.5g X 6.43kg = 16 grams of Cure #1

A teaspoon of Cure #1 is roughly 4 grams, which means 4 teaspoons is needed. You used 3.5 tablespoons which is 10.5 teaspoons.

daveomak daveomak , please double check this.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky