Campers??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carpetride

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 25, 2008
Those of you who camp whether it be in a tent or RV, do you take a grill along or just cook over a campfire?

I bring my WSM and Webber kettle when we are camping next to trucks.

I bring an old webber kettle grill for a cook surface when we build a pit in the boonies....

I have a small propane grill, a two burner Camp Chef stove, Dutch oven (the kind with no legs), cast iron grill pan and cast iron skillet. Also a heavy steel griddle that fits over 1/2 of the two burner stove.

I have a small propane grill that we take along with us. But If we are going to visit friends where we will be enteraining I will bring one of my gassers along for the ride. Another reason to like the gassers for sure.

This is how we camp, so we can only take a small grill, but we camp with 4 other couples so we all bring different things so we have plenty to cook on.

80d3fe7a_vbattach23300.jpg

I have just about everything. I take my 32' motor home almost everywhere. No more sleeping on the ground for this old man.

We always have a campfire, I use a tripod and cast iron kettles. I have several three legged Dutch Ovens and use live coals from the campfire to bake in them. A couple of portable propane stoves. A 4.8 kw generator ( 4 cycle and quiet ) We turn the generator on till 7pm only. My wife does breakfast on an electric grill, electric fry-pan and toaster. I make coffee on the propane stove. we only start the campfire around noon, Lunch and dinner are always done on the campfire grill. We use the Dutch Ovens to make fresh bread everyday. We almost always go with about 30 friends and all park together at a primitive Provincial campground. There are no water taps, or electrical outlets available, not even leveled campsites there. They took out the garbage cans because they attracted bears. There are some truck rims for the campfires. The outhouses are really filthy so the 30 of us all chip in 3 bux each and hire 2 porta pottys for the long weekend....4 days. The guy cleans them daily and they are really nice and fresh smelling. We have a small shower enclosure attached to the side of the motor home and everyone uses it for nice hot showers from the motor-homes hot water tank.

We park the motor-homes and trailers of which there are an increasing number each year in a circle string ropes between them with some 12 foot poles and a 40 x 60 foot tarp to keep off the sun and the rain. We trap or shoot rabbits, squirrels, and grouse in season and cook them over the campfire, I alway do at least 2 or 3 meals of fresh trout during our 4 days. One fellow always delights in catching cooking and eating a rattlesnake each trip. ( big show off )

The electricity is really just for making breakfast, heating the shower water and charging batteries for the electric boat motors.
One lady who really hates camping stays in our motor home the entire time watching movies on her portable tv. I don't know why she comes. Her husband ( the snake eater ) sleeps either on the ground or in a small pup tent. He is as close to a mountain man as you can get.

PS I forgot , lately I have also been taking my cobb cooker along to smoke some of the fish I catch , it uses 2 kingsford briquettes for a 12. inch trout and takes 2 hours or so. It will do 4 corn on the cob or a 3 lb roast. IT is legal to use even if there is a campfire ban which there is every summer. We have a propane campfire for times when there is a campfire ban.

Campfire!! My pops and I always cook breakfast over the fire in the morning. OOh and corn on the cob and kebobs, and Hillbilly pizza as a snack after a few beers.. Man i'm getting hungry just talking about it!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I have a 5th wheel and travel about 5 months out of the year... I take my Tahoe Chef 3 burner stove with BBQ, a Webber Baby Q and my MES 30" smoker... Not allowed to have a camp fire where I spend my summers...

Where do you do this trip?
please include detailed instructions so I can crash
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

J/K I'm always looking for new places to hunt/camp where I can take the family

Camp fire all the way! Get a nice bed of oak coals going, stand the grate over them and have at it! Yummy's!
icon_wink.gif

We spend most of our summer camping in a 5th wheel. No roughing it for us! We take a propane grill the kind that folds down. One time we had the group camp reserved with 12 sites and took 3 propane smokers to have a Rib contest. It was a blast. We smoked some ABT's too. We take our smoker alot. We always have a campfire going but do most of the cooking on the grill or smoker!

To quote Cowgirl, go past Texas and turn right, about 1200 miles, you can't miss it. Just to narrow it down a bit, Its between the Rockies and the Pacific Ocean. If you hit Alaska or the Yukon you've gone too far.

Camped 62 nights this season, smoking-grilling-dutch ovens are all used all the time. I think about 57 of the 62 nights I cooked out. Moved to a TT from a teardrop camper and do love the fridge and freezer but still try to always cook outside.

I normally cook over the campfire or in dutch ovens on coals. Sometimes I fire up the propane stove to boil hot coco or to heat up oil for frying. One place where I go fairly regularly requires an above-ground contained fire. So I have a stainless steel washing machine barrel that i set on cinder blocks that i use for my fire pit. I have a wire grill that has fold out legs that i can set on top of the fire for grilling. One day i would like to build a tow-behind smoker. Get my food cooking while i'm en-route to the campsite.

I went camping with my inlaws this summer for 4 days, their previous only outdoor eating experience was burgers and fried abalone (they go camping so that my father in law and brother in law can dive for them) I brought my 4 dutch ovens along. They were against it at first, thinking it was too much hassle. Boy, I sure changed their minds about what real food you can cook outdoors. I made wheat yeast rolls, jalepeno cornbread, apple crisp, and seasoned baked potato fries.

Couple years ago, we went to Colorado (Denver area) to visit our adult children over labor day. Took my GOSM style along of course, along with king salmon on dry ice, turkey, chickens, roasts and some other goodies in some coolers. We joined some 30 of their friends up on the Colorado River, near Radium, for some rafting, fly fishing and me cooking the evening meats. For some reason they keep asking us back. Now that's taking the Q'ing to where it's appreciated. Fishing or rafting all day, then smoked food for dinner. Now, you all are going to be teaching me some more neat things, for the next camping trip. Did discover this ol' body is no longer in tenting. Gotta get a camper now. It's all good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky