CampChef WiFi 24 Overshoots temperature on startup.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

John West

Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
I often start it on Low Smoke (160 degrees) and see the internal temperature climb to 300 or more, and I have to open the lid to get it to cool down. Any ideas why?

I have never seen mine overshoot by that much at startup. Does it settle in and run a bit above and below set temp once it gets going?

At this point, compared to a Thermpro ambient probe, the CampChef ambient temp looks to be about 10-15 degrees low. It is still running quite a bit above set temperature. It is also quite hot in the direct sun on my deck where the smoker is.

I put a new PED controller on my Campchef last year and had the same problem. When I contacted customer service their solution was to wire brush the loose gunk off the inside exhaust grate then remove the chimney and soak it overnight in hot soapy water. I was skeptical but it worked. Now the temps stay in a pretty tight 10-15 band.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky