Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 in. Propane Gas Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the SV18. I like it pretty well. I have turned out some superb poultry and smoked steaks. Tried my first brisket this weekend and it worked pretty well, but the 24 would be better for briskets and ribs due to the size. Smoking at really low temps is difficult. Will need to purchase a needle valve in order to fine tune the flame and achieve those lower temps. The built in temp knob and thermometer are garbage, in my opinion. I get no real change between low medium and high. I control it completely with the needle valve.

I had the 18 inch model for over 15 years, and just retired it for a homebuilt fridge smoker.

I had a temperamental regulator that plagued me for several years and then replaced it. The gas flow was better. As stated above it is hard to keep the temps down. I got mine so that I could cook on the low setting most of the time, and still keep up a good smoke by drilling 1/4" holes spaced about ever 1.5" around the cast iron wood tray. This allow for a better smoke at a lower temp. Temp control was still the worst problem.

Also the temperature gauge was 70 degrees off. When it was 40 degrees out and the smoker was in the shade the gauge would read 110 degrees.

For my first smoker, it gave me the a taste of smoking. I did learn to cook some great pork, and turkeys in the thing.

Last edited:
I've had one for about 3 years now and love it.

It has its ups and downs as does any smoker. It is not insulated whatsoever but It doesn't make a difference. It might seem flimsy but really its very well built. The 24" is perfect for full racks of ribs briskets spatched turkeys and yardbirds. I would highly recommend it if you are in the market for something in that price range. Here are a few pics to kind of show you.

6 slabs of bacon on top 2 racks cold smoking
SVbacon.jpeg

2 whole 15 pound turkeys
SVturkey.jpeg

Here are some ribs that I did in it
SVribs.jpeg

And a couple just rolling smoke.
SV1.jpeg

SV2.jpeg

Others on here use them as well and haven't heard one say anything bad. Let me know if I can be of anymore help

I've had the 18inch for 2 years now and have made some incredible BBQ with it. Getting super low temps for cheese or proper jerky is a tuffy though. It struggles to stay around 80-100. Other than the low temps, I have been super impressed with the smoker. Uses very little propane and really gets the job done.

I've had the 18inch for 2 years now and have made some incredible BBQ with it. Getting super low temps for cheese or proper jerky is a tuffy though. It struggles to stay around 80-100. Other than the low temps, I have been super impressed with the smoker. Uses very little propane and really gets the job done.

I love doing cheese in the vault. I use the AMNPS tray and put in on the chip pan right under the water pan. Its not insulated so it smokes it great without getting high temps. You know unless its 100 degrees outside like it is now haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky