Calling all Smoke Hollow owners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a GOSM and with ambient temps of 83° using a needle valve I can go as low as 180°, I haven't had any problems with a flame out holding temps at 210°-225°.

Something you might consider is if you do go with a smaller burner, which means less BTU's, you might not be able to have temps of 300°-350° to crisp up chicken skin if that is a thing for you.

Gene

Last edited:
Just got the small Smoke Hollow and gave it a try this weekend, I am thinking the door thermometer must be off.  I was testing it cooking a 3 lb pork roast, smoked it for 7 hours, it only got to 165.  Starving, we chopped it up and ate it tasted great but not pulled.  What do you recommend I use to get a better sense of the internal temp?  Thanks much.

Dan,

Thanks much for your advice!  In reading through the posts above I realize it was a mistake to rely on the temp dial on the front, one I will not be repeating!  It would be nice to get the wireless one you linked, but in the mean time I was hoping to use just a simple oven thermometer inside on the rack, do you have any experience with this type, and would it be acceptable in the short run or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks,

Thanks Dan, I think with this advice I will have better success.  I am going to give it a shot over the weekend with these new ideas and will report back on success.  I am also glad to have these forums to ask questions, learn, and maybe someday pass on what I have learned.  Its great to have all the knowledge in one place!

Everyone enjoy the 4th of July, great holiday and day for BBQ!

I am curios because I got one of these smokers as an early Christmas present this year when everyone says the thermometer is off, is it off high or low? I will be purchasing a remote but in the mean time I would be interested to know if I need to turn the heat up or down. Thanks!

I am curios because I got one of these smokers as an early Christmas present this year when everyone says the thermometer is off, is it off high or low? I will be purchasing a remote but in the mean time I would be interested to know if I need to turn the heat up or down. Thanks!

First off, welcome to SMF. You should go over to the roll call section & introduce yourself so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome. 

As for the therm, they can be off either way, high or low. You can check it in boiling water. It should read 212-213.

I'm sitting in front of Atwoods trying to decide between the SH-42" or the GOSM-38". They have the SH in stock or I have to wait a week and drive 100 miles to get a GOSM. They are within 50.00 of each other in price. Just want to do this right, one time. Recommendations accepted!!!

Hi. I have a SH (olp....)44" gas 2-burner, 2 chip trays, etc. Non-insulated( tho I'm thinking about some way to insulate the outside-some have used a fire blanket(welding blanket). Same problem w/low temps but the rep told me to light the burner, turn it back in between hi and off and you can turn the flame down lower than low. It does. Factory temp gauge was off but I used a digital therm and made note the difference. I don't use their chip pans or the water pan. Jeff suggested using a cut-down coffee can. I'm using a 8x8 cornbread pan right now with a chicken in.  I have  3" dia. stack that I put a 1# coffee can over it and adjust it so it keeps smoke in longer( maybe like a damper). Some have made mods in that dept. I cold smoked a mess of cheese last nite and it turned out very good.The temp outside was 35-40 degrees (western OK). I was able to keep the temp 50-100 degrees using the above mentioned method( 1 burner real low). I also used an AMZN smokebox and xtra chips in the pan for additional smoke. My burner box has 2 bottom side vents and 3-3" holes( 1 for a grease pan) in the bottom. I also lined the bottom of the firebox with foil for easy clean if needed. Don't know what else I'll do to it. About all you can do is play with it I guess. Some of these folks have done a lot of mods on some makes and models and they probably have some really good ideas or fixes. Hope this helped. If not, please File 13. Good luck.

Thanks Aland, Know a few people over your way. Well I'm in the shop with my new #8 SH. Getting ready to assemble. I like the 2 burner idea, hoping this will help with getting the lower temps. Catch u later

Reading and reading and reading..... just got a #6 Smoke Hollow for Christmas. I tested the thermometer by sticking the probe in boiling water on my stove. It read 210 degrees. I'm about to buy a digital thermometer off Amazon but wondered if the test I just did means the door thermometer is at least reasonably close.

Like... close enough that I can use it to warm up a few pans of stuffed cabbage, baked macaroni and cheese, etc, that I've cooked ahead, frozen, and have now thawed?

I know that sounds complicated maybe. I can shuffle 9 pans through my oven, but I thought maybe I could heat everything up in the smoker and just transfer it out to serving dishes when it's time.

thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I'm not sure where the roll-call area is. I have smoked several items in my smoker including a whole chicken, a prime rib, and a pork tenderloin. I have also done some salmon and everything has turned out good. 

I GOT AN SMOKE HOLLOW ELECTRIC MODEL FOR CHRISTMAS JUST SEASONED IT WITH COOKING OIL SPRAY AND IT  SEEMS THAT WOOD TRAY MAY BE TO FAR FROM HEATING ELEMENT IT WILL NOT GET HOT ENOUGH TO START THE CHIPS TO SMOKE. 

SO I CUT THE GRATE OUT AROUND THE CHIP BOX SO IT WOULD SET DOWN ON THE HEATING ELEMENT AND NOW IT SMOKES REAL WELL AND DOES NOT USE A LOT OF CHIPS

Last edited:
put a wedge in the door and use a bungee to pull it closed.  It will keep a small gap in the door to let some heat out.  Ive had to do that a few times over the summer when its really hot out.

if you use the watt burner model I would suggest you get the Amazin Smoker......those things make all the difference if you want to truely 'smoke' some meat in an electric smoker which the heating coils shut off and on

GET A DIGITAL THERMOMETER WITH TWO LEADS AND USE ONE LEAD FOR THE SMOKER TEMPERATURE AND THE OTHER LEAD FOR THE MEAT TEMPERATURE.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

MY DOOR THERMOMETER WAS OFF ABOUT 25 DEGREES ON THE NEW ONE I GOT FOR CHRISTMAS.

GET A DIGITAL THERMOMETER WITH TWO LEADS AND USE ONE LEAD FOR THE SMOKER TEMPERATURE AND THE OTHER LEAD FOR THE MEAT TEMPERATURE.

MY DOOR THERMOMETER WAS OFF ABOUT 25 DEGREES ON THE NEW ONE I GOT FOR CHRISTMAS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky