Buttermilk Biscuits....easy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Kat, I bow to the mistress! 
77.gif
Those look better than any I have seen in YEARS.

EXCELLENT recipe!  I got the skillet, and now I need to get to work on the biscuits.

77.gif

EXCELLENT recipe!  I got the skillet, and now I need to get to work on the biscuits.
Frosty, I have made Kat's biscuits several times - easiest recipe ever for biscuits!  You will love 'em!

Bill

77.gif

Thanks Frosty!  Are you able to find the White Lily in your area? Should be able too....but I don't know about Texas.

Kat

Kat, thank you so much for the recipe!!

I made them this morning along with sausage gravy and scrambled eggs. They were the closest to perfect biscuits I've ever made, but not quite there. First off, I couldn't find White Lily, so went with Washington brand.

Secondly, Butter was on sale, but Crisco wasn't, so I cut in butter instead. And lastly, I no longer have a cast iron skillet, so I used a 9" round cake pan.

All that being said, the biscuits were DELICIOUS. Only complaints I have (which were my fault, not complaining about your wonderful recipe) were that they didn't rise as well as yours and the bottoms were kinda hard. Not so much that you couldn't bite through it, but there was definitely a crunchy crust. Not burnt at all, very nicely browned, just crunchier than I would have thought. And the rise was maybe a little more than half of what yours did.

I think I have the crunchy bottom figured out. I had the rack in the lower part of the oven, so next time I'll move it to the middle and put a cookie sheet under the pan for a little more insulation. The lack of rise is a little more difficult. I guess it's the flour, but it is self rising flour. Would the butter in lieu of Crisco make a difference? I will definitely try these again, as biscuits are on my list of things I want to do well. We'll be on the coast of Georgia in a few weeks, so if I haven't found it by then I'll pick up some White Lily down there.

Here you can see the crunchy bottom, as well as the lack of height. My wife called them "vertically challenged" so as not to hurt their feelings. :)

You know....I haven't tried it with butter.....but yours do look very good.  The bottoms are probably crunchy due to the placement....or maybe a thicker pan would work.  The pan should be fine...they just need to touch each other.  There are friends of mine who just use a cookie sheet when they make theirs.

Get a small container of Crisco and see which one you like better.

Glad you enjoyed them!  Made some yesterday...and they are gone!

Kat

Well I think I have no choice but to try again. And again, until I get it right. After thinking (obsessing) over what I did, I think I have it narrowed down to a few key points.

1. As previously stated, the butter may have contributed. I think I remember my Grandmother making shortcakes with butter, and they never rose much.

2. Even if the butter might have worked, I don't think I "worked" it in enough. There were still some lumps of butter. I mistakenly thought that was supposed to be the case, like in rolled biscuits to create layers. Obviously not with these drop biscuits.

3. Colder fat. The butter had sat out for a while and it was getting a little soft.

4. I may have over mixed the dough. I was pretty careful to just mix enough to bring it all together, but then I realized I'd forgotten to add the salt. So, I had to mix it all again.

I'll bite the bullet and buy some Crisco this week and give it another shot. And since I'll have Crisco, I might as well make some fried chicken while I'm at it. My poor wife, she absolutely LOVES fried chicken, but she's been trying to eat healthier as we're going to the beach at the end of the month. Apparently women have some phobia about putting on a bathing suit for the first time every year?
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I would just keep a small can around of the Crisco...for biscuits.  I don't use that for my fried chicken...just regular oil...works great....and the left over Buttermilk can be used for the egg/milk wash of the chicken before frying!  (hint hint)

Good luck...each time I make the biscuits...they get better and better.  You will be able to make them without the recipe in front of you before you know it!

Kat

Just whipped up a batch.  I used Pillsbury SR flour because that is all that the store had.  Didn't matter, they were AWESOME!  And so simple, even I could make them.  Sorry, no "biscuit view",  they were gobbled up by everybody in no time.

Just whipped up a batch.  I used Pillsbury SR flour because that is all that the store had.  Didn't matter, they were AWESOME!  And so simple, even I could make them.  Sorry, no "biscuit view",  they were gobbled up by everybody in no time.

Yeehaw!  Good Deal!  Glad you liked them!  They are easy....and are yummy any time of the day...not just for breakfast!

Kat

Well I think I have no choice but to try again. And again, until I get it right. After thinking (obsessing) over what I did, I think I have it narrowed down to a few key points.

1. As previously stated, the butter may have contributed. I think I remember my Grandmother making shortcakes with butter, and they never rose much.

2. Even if the butter might have worked, I don't think I "worked" it in enough. There were still some lumps of butter. I mistakenly thought that was supposed to be the case, like in rolled biscuits to create layers. Obviously not with these drop biscuits.

3. Colder fat. The butter had sat out for a while and it was getting a little soft.

4. I may have over mixed the dough. I was pretty careful to just mix enough to bring it all together, but then I realized I'd forgotten to add the salt. So, I had to mix it all again.

I'll bite the bullet and buy some Crisco this week and give it another shot. And since I'll have Crisco, I might as well make some fried chicken while I'm at it. My poor wife, she absolutely LOVES fried chicken, but she's been trying to eat healthier as we're going to the beach at the end of the month. Apparently women have some phobia about putting on a bathing suit for the first time every year?
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
So I asked my mom and grandma, didn't have the guts to ask my fiancee... They both agreed about the bathing suit phobia. More importantly they agreed about the butter not being a good sub for the Crisco. My Grandma did say that rendered pig lard (bacon) (solid form)would be a better substitute, but cautioned that the resulting flavor would be close to heaven and should be avoided if possible.

Last edited:
Well, I tried again with Crisco. They rose beautifully, but I think I went a little overboard on cutting in the crisco. I did it in the food processor until it was completely incorporated in the flour. The biscuits turned out too tender!! It's hard to pick one up without it falling apart. Flavor was really good, rise was great. All in all, I'd say I'm zeroing in. One or two more attempts and maybe I'll have it. I'm so not a baker!!

Gorgeous!!!! use your hands....and don't over incorporate the Crisco.  They do fall apart tho!  Looking good!!!!

You have it!  
yahoo.gif

Kat

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!  What a quick, easy, and delicious buttermilk biscuit.  I made my first batch before leaving for work this afternoon.  Ate one immediately after cooling a few minutes.  Wow!!  Great flavor.  Took 2 more to work and left the rest for the wife to try when she gets home from work.  The wife just sent me a photo of my 2 year old grand daughter munching one down.  She looks to be enjoying it very much.  Here's a Q-View of the finished product;

Thanks again!

Boy those biscuits look good!!! I'll have to find some White Lily flour and give them a try. thanks for sharing the recipe.

If you cant find White Lily....try Gold Medal or a name brand. Really does make a difference. White Lily must be a Southern thing! Silkiest flour I have ever used.

Good luck!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky