Butterflied pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have a shoulder that I deboned and butterflied with the intention of making buckboard bacon but now I want to cook one. Do you think I should roll it or just keep it flat, like a brisket? Time/temp?

I am thinking of smoking half and using sous vide on the other, so thoughts on both methods are appreciated.

Personally I would roll it up & tie it.
I think smoking a butt gets it just as tender as SV'ing it, and I like the bark.
But that's me.
Al

I think I would season it before rolling it up, that way the rub will get inside the meat.
Then after it's all tied up, give the outside a dusting of rub.
I bet it will be good!
Al

I seasoned the inside , rolled it then did the outside like Al said . It was good .

Well I do both , and like both . I liked sliced for sandwiches no smoke . Makes great lunch meat . Whatever you decide make sure of your time and temp . Remember you cut into it , so whatever was on the outside is now on the inside .
I made sure it was past 140 in less than 4 hours .

Did a 8lb pork butt ala Serious Eats last year. SV for 26 hours at 165, then into ice water bath. Smoked the following day on Weber kettle with Slow N' Sear with apple chunks for about 90 minutes at 275F.
Probably wouldn't do it again. Came out good, but not better than just smoking and more work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky