Brisket SOS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smqua

Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
I have been smoking meat for several years and have had great success with shoulder/butts, chickens, turkeys, fatties and even lamb but Brisket has been a disaster!  It has been tough, stringy and although flavorful, not a wonderful dining experience.  I think I just haven't been patient enough and tried to rush the food to the table.

I have been elected to bring the meat to a birthday gathering tomorrow night and the hostess wants brisket; I'm screwed!

The briskets I am able to get here are not the 8 lb monsters but I need 8 pounds of meat and have bought two 4 pounders.  I intend to smoke them in pans to keep some of the juices, wrap them at 170 and cook to 190, wrap'em tight and lety them rest in a cooler until dinner.  The part I don't know is how much time I should be setting aside?  

Help in Cleveland,

Steve 

Sounds like you have the smoke down right just put some liquid in the pan when you wrap. Also make sure your temp probe is correct..Never smoked one that small so I cant help you with time..

Steve,

Sounds like you are cooking fully trimmed brisket flats.  The way I do brisket is to get the untrimmed packer brisket (10-16lbs) and cook for 1.5hrs per pound with the fat cap up until internal temp is around 195.  Then seperate the flat from everything else and foil it.  I allow the flat to rest atleast an our wrapped in foil and towels inside an empty cooler.  Onething that you must do to havegood presentation on sliced brisket is only slice across the grain.  If you dont you will end up with a stringy mess.  From everything im reading you should be making some decent brisket.  Just takes practice man.

I think you are correct, what I am able to buy is a trimmed flat (one of the reasons I am smoking in a pan).  Any sense on whether the times would be similar (1.5 hrs per pound) and whether it is 1.5 hrs for all 8 pounds or since it is two pieces 1.5 hours per pound in the largest piece?

I think you are correct, what I am able to buy is a trimmed flat (one of the reasons I am smoking in a pan).  Any sense on whether the times would be similar (1.5 hrs per pound) and whether it is 1.5 hrs for all 8 pounds or since it is two pieces 1.5 hours per pound in the largest piece?
The time applies to the piece as a guide only. Cook to Internal temps. And you can wrap the foil over the pan, keep the mess to a minumum!
icon14.gif

As a guide go by 1.5Hr/Lb of the largest piece. If it was one single 8Lb chunk then that timing would apply. Since you are taking it to feed a group you might want to plan on 2Hrs/Lb to CYA in case things are not going smoothly. If done early a wrap in Foil and Towels and a rest of up to 4-5 hours can be done in a Cooler. You may wish to make this tasty Au Jus to accompany the Brisket...JJ

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

Thank you all!  I will do it early in the AM in case things don't go smoothly but since my largest piece is 4.5 lbs, I don't have to stay up all night.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky