Brisket question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leonard114

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Harpers ferry wv
So I'm doing just a little flat 3lb brisket today and I'm coming up on hour 3 of smoking and I have an internal temp of about 165 already. Is it cooking to fast or is that about normal for that size brisket. I'm smoking it between 225-250 degrees. Any thoughts are appreciated and happy new year!

So update I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not but my temp would not get above 170 degrees in the smoker so I pulled it and put it in the oven and got a little more out of it but not much all and all it looks and smells good other than it shrunk which kinda sucks. But that was almost 11 hours for a 3lb brisket and that seems like it's wayyy to long so I guess I'll see how it is but I can't figure out what I might of done wrong started with temps between 225 and 250 then bumped it up to between 250 and 300

So update I'm not sure if I did something wrong or not but my temp would not get above 170 degrees in the smoker so I pulled it and put it in the oven and got a little more out of it but not much all and all it looks and smells good other than it shrunk which kinda sucks. But that was almost 11 hours for a 3lb brisket and that seems like it's wayyy to long so I guess I'll see how it is but I can't figure out what I might of done wrong started with temps between 225 and 250 then bumped it up to between 250 and 300

What kind of smoker?
Should be good in the oven now anyway.

It's probably in a stall.. you foil wrap it when it does that. Continue to cook and internal will go up faster wrapped. You can finish in 300 oven

I would say it was in the stall stage and you just have to keep going.. but wrapping in foil to lock in the steam helps nicely. Can still put the probe in through the foil.
300 oven to finish is good

If you were going by the factory thermometer, your cooking chamber temps could be way off.
I've had a SV 24 for years with no mods & can get it up above 400 degrees if I choose to do so.
I would get a good dual probe remote therm, like a Maverick or a Thermoworks Smoke. Then you will have a probe for the smoker & meat temp.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky