• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brisket-Pastrami dilemma

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejhim

Meat Mopper
Mar 14, 2013
Wow that is not looking good there.
@jted posted here and according to his info you are reading 2.2 ohms higher on your element than should be read for a 1200 watt element.

Replacing insulation shouldnt be an issue. I would be more concerned with what caused the burning (if that is true burning). A replacement element is like $25 online i believe (not sure about shipping cost).
Often when the GFI is tripping and the GFI outlet is good that means the element is wearing out. Your's seems to be reading a little high and that burnt looking stuff makes me think you should investigate more around the element and think of replacing it. Last thing u want is a fire :)
I have no problem replacing the element. I'm also going to get an Auber, might as do it all. However I'm not having ang luck finding a source for insulation???

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
I have no problem replacing the element. I'm also going to get an Auber, might as do it all. However I'm not having ang luck finding a source for insulation???

Here is something I have used to replace the foam insulation. Its 1000F rated and fiber glass so shouldn't catch fire (from what I read it melts instead of flames if too hot).

That should get the trick done and is what is used in ovens and such.

As for the Auber PID, you wont regret moving to a PID, its like having a brand new and way more amazing smoker :)

unclejhim

Meat Mopper
Mar 14, 2013
Here is something I have used to replace the foam insulation. Its 1000F rated and fiber glass so shouldn't catch fire (from what I read it melts instead of flames if too hot).

That should get the trick done and is what is used in ovens and such.

As for the Auber PID, you wont regret moving to a PID, its like having a brand new and way more amazing smoker :)
I'll look into this. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky