Brisket on a pellet smoker help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
This will be my first brisket on my Camp Chef pellet smoker. I have looked at so many videos and read so many recipes my brain is on brisket overload. I would like to hear some tips and tricks to help me on this 15 plus hr journey. The number one question I have is on a pellet smoker should I keep the fat side down since the primary heat comes from the bottom Or fat side up like in a traditional smoker? I also can’t decide on a temp to cook it at I am doing a overnight cook and not sure if I should start at 200 and wrap at 165 or so then increase temp to 225, or I can start at 225 and keep it at that temp. I will be wrapping in butcher paper not foil. Last but not leased should I spritz or not? I plain to season with salt pepper and garlic powder nothing fancy. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm sure someone with experience with pellet poopers will be along to answer. Opinions will vary.
I use MBGF 1050 and usually run 225-250* and let it ride. I may spritz if it looks like bark is set and drying out. I go fat side up and wrap in paper around the 160-170 mark, as long as I like the bark.
I think most pellet guys also use a smoke tube...Just pick a plan and stick with it. Don't overthimk the cook. Meat Church, Kosmos Q(2 of my favs) and many others have great vids on the process

I cook mine at the lowest temp for 2-3 hours then up to 225-250 , never wrapped 1 but folks do. I also use a pellet tube to add more smoke, lot of ways to do them and no way is wrong

At 200 in my CampChef 24 it takes 20+ hours to finish cooking so you might consider going up a little temp wise.
Camp Chef produce max smoke at low temp so perhaps smoke for 6/8 hours then raise the temp to hurry the cook.
I cook fat side down due as you said to the hot spot, wrap in foil at 160/170 in foil and add some apple cider vinegar mixed with apple juice to the wrap.
When it hits 200 internal, pull it and leaving it wrapped in foil, place in a cooler stuffed with towels or newspaper and let it "cool down" for three or four hours to tenderize.
You could also pull at 195 internal and "hold" in the oven at 160 all day and it will just get more tender the longer you hold it.
If you are out of time and and have to slice, pull at 203/205, unwrap and let it air cool on the counter for an hour or so.
Some prefer to use a large aluminum pan covered with foil instead of wrapping.
When I do "wrap" that way, I place a cooling rack under the meat to prevent it from sitting in boiling juices.

Reactions: binnesman
Don’t want to have a 20 hr cook so will raise temp really want that smoke. Never used one of the tubes if anyone has used the smoke tube please chime in.

Don’t want to have a 20 hr cook so will raise temp really want that smoke. Never used one of the tubes if anyone has used the smoke tube please chime in.
I got one of those Kingsford pellet tubes awhile back to try in my electric smoker, and it worked pretty well in it. Decent thin blue smoke ... not too heavy, not too light. A week or two ago I did a load of bone in chicken breasts on the Camp Chef, and put the tube at the back of the bottom grate as I've seen people suggest you place it on a pellet grill.

I go off and do something for 10 or so minutes, come back by the grill, and there was the awfullest cloud of smoke coming out of the thing I ever seen. I grabbed a pair of tongs, took the tube out, and chucked it on the gravel drive to let it burn itself out. I don't know if the air flow from the fan got the tube burning too fast or what, but I haven't tried it in the CC again. I just dial the smoke setting at 10 and call it good.

I'm sure someone with experience with pellet poopers will be along to answer. Opinions will vary.
I use MBGF 1050 and usually run 225-250* and let it ride. I may spritz if it looks like bark is set and drying out. I go fat side up and wrap in paper around the 160-170 mark, as long as I like the bark.
I think most pellet guys also use a smoke tube...Just pick a plan and stick with it. Don't overthimk the cook. Meat Church, Kosmos Q(2 of my favs) and many others have great vids on the process
So does Aaron Franklin on youtube

Last brisket I cooked in my Camp Chef DLX pellet smoker I seasoned with a new to me rub, I usually just do kosher salt and CBP for the seasoning. For us the beef really shines with that simple seasoning! I went fat side down and was a 13 hr smoke if memory serves me! I did not use a tube, I set the smoke setting at 5! I wrapped in butcher paper when IT hit 165* and just let it ride til probe tender (sticking a probe into the brisket and it has no resistance... like probing a stick of butter) pulled out and let it rest for a few hrs before slicing. Be sure to let it rest a while!

Enjoy your cook, don’t stress about things! If you take it to probe tender and rest it a while... you’ll be just fine!

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE and 912smoker
My standard brisket temp profile is 180 for an hour or two (that's high smoke on the rec tec) then up to 275 till done. start checking tenderness with a probe about 195 and up. No wrap. cook, rest, eat. Havent had one go past 12 hours. I usually start about 6am and it usually works out well.

Reactions: 912smoker
When I use my Yoder for Brisket I will cook it on the upper shelf fat cap up and use a tube. I run it at 225 the whole time and no wrap but spritz it a few times. Timing depends on the meat grade Waygu you should start probing at about 180. 12 hour is a good general rule, but then each piece of meat has a mind of it's own.

I haven't done a brisket yet on my 24sg but when I do my plan will be to start it as low as my grill will reliably run for 2 - 4 hours on a smoke setting of 10 along with a smoke pellet tube and then to increase the temp to about 225°F for a good while. Then if the briskie stalls I'll ramp the temp up to 250 - 300 to go thru the stall. Won't spritz or wrap. I've made several good to great briskies in my ole offset without spritzing or wrapping and see no need to go off course with my Camp Chef.

No wrapping you don’t get that bitter taste on the bark 1moreford? I always worry about that. I ordered a smoke tube but won’t be here in time so going to give it a go without.

There are low & slow and hot & fast methods to smoking briskets. Either way can provide good eats! Prep the meat. I subscribe to removing the hard fat and leaving approx 1/4" on the fat cap in place, then season generously with 50/50 salt and cracked pepper. We prefer brisket done Texas style with just those two & nothing else. Insert the reporting thermometer into the middle of the thickest part of the flat then put it on the smoker. Fat cap up or down, your choice along with smoker temp. I go with 275º so no over night smoke is necessary. Keep the lid shut, period! If I wrap in BP, it's usually around 165-170º. At 275º the stall is reduced, sometimes eliminated, depends on the meat. Once the IT reads 193-195º I tear open the paper and start probing for doneness. Looking for what it feels like to probe a jar of peanut butter all over the flat. Once there, it's time to pull. IMPORTANT: let it sit on the counter open for at least 15 minutes to ensure the cooking has stopped. IT should drop 5-10º. If you don't it will continue to cook while in the cooler, thus getting over done. Now wrap tight and place in cooler with towels below and above then shut the lid. Keep the thermometer in so you can monitor the IT. Let it rest at least 1 hour, 2 is better. Slice and serve when ready.

No wrapping you don’t get that bitter taste on the bark 1moreford? I always worry about that. I ordered a smoke tube but won’t be here in time so going to give it a go without.

The trouble you will be more likely to have is getting enough smoke flavor. Don't worry about bitter taste. I never wrapped on my ole stick burner never got bitter taste. You just burn a clean enough fire.

After I cook the brisket how does it reheat the next day

Anyone ever use the prime brisket from Cosco I have a butcher that sell the black angus but it’s not the 1855 prime one think it’s the choice. Anyone use either or both and what one did you like better?

Anyone ever use the prime brisket from Cosco I have a butcher that sell the black angus but it’s not the 1855 prime one think it’s the choice. Anyone use either or both and what one did you like better?

I've used prime briskets from Costco they are good to go, but you still have to know a little bit about picking a brisket. Like, get the most bendy one, the thicker and more uniform in thickness the flat as well is the next big feature for me, etc.

If you get a certified black angus (CBA) that is always the top end of Choice grade but not technically Prime grade. I've gotten CBA briskets and they are great too. Most of my briskets are choice and again I still have to follow the rules of picking a good brisket.

Finally, with prime briskets I start checking for tenderness at 198F IT of the meat where all other grades I wait until 200F.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: binnesman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky