BBQ Battle Pulled Ham on the 270 Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It's been awhile since I've done pulled ham and man it's one of my favorite things. So many things you can do with it aside for em amazing sandwiches. I scored 2 nice shank hams around Easter at Kroger for $0.79 / lbs. Wish I'd bought 4
1000006995.jpg
Rubbed them yesterday. Rub was my standard keto pork and chicken rub with some added clove, allspice and sugar free root beer drink mix.
1000006994.jpg
It's been a couple years since I fired up the 270 KC Smoker. Ever since I got my first (and 2nd) Lang I've just used them. I forgot just what a pleasure this thing is. I ran B&B Hickory lump with 4 or 5 nice chunks of cherry mixed in. Dialed it in around 275F. Smoke was intoxicating. First check a couple hours in. I added some rub after this pic and spritzed with sugar free root beer.
1000007011.jpg
Here is a little later with the added rub and time for another spritz.
1000007013.jpg
Overall the one on the left took about 6 1/2 hours and the bigger selection one on the right about 7 1/2. I put both in tightly covered pans with a cup of liquid at 165F and took to 205F. Both were rested for quite awhile in the Cambro prior to pulling. Last time I did the shank hams it was good but a little stubborn pulling. These literally disintegrated as I pulled them by hand wearing leather gloves with nitrile over tip them. I could not believe how juicy and tender it was. Here are a couple pics of the pulled.
1000007022.jpg
1000007023.jpg
I had a pan of ham base with a hit of root beer and brown swerve under these. I'll defat it tomorrow and mix some in thia before I portion it up and vacuum seal most of it. This will make many sandwiches, chowders, my Cuban casserole and more. If you haven't done pulled ham yet I highly recommend it. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks delicious, Jeff. Wish I had scored me some cheap hams for the freezer in the post Easter sales. They were dang near giving them away to get rid of them.

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff those hams look Amazing!! Kind of like what comes out of the Imu when I do them but with a bit more Kick from the smoke and seasoning you used!! Beautiful!!

Some mighty fine work there Jeff, got me feeling hungry right after dinner! I never tried double smoking a ham to the point of pulling, might just give that a shot, got a couple in my freezer. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky