Brisket holding temp and duration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jpayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Northwest Indiana
hello all,

So I’m doing a couple briskets and a pork shoulder tomorrow and plan on serving it for lunch on Sunday. Whenever I smoke, we eat right away after resting the meat but this time will be different. Thought about holding it in the oven after the cooler for a little bit but my oven only goes down to 170. Is that too high of a temp to hold the meat? I’m planning on the smoke to be over by 10pm Saturday night (in a perfect world) and serving at noon Sunday. Cooler for 8 hrs, oven for 3/4hrs, back to cooler for 2/3 hrs? Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone
Jason

Side note - I plan on wrapping the briskets in peach butcher paper at the stall. Remove butcher paper after the flat probes without any resistance (probably around 200/205) and wrap in Saran Wrap, foil, and towel before placing in cooler. The pork shoulder will not get wrapped until it goes in the cooler (same method as brisket).

I've never held anything that long, so it'll be good to hear from folks that have....but holding for 14 hours at 170 seems like an awfully long time. Connective tissue breaks down at temps around 140 and up, so it may all be mush by the time you serve it. I would think 140 would be a better bet - safe holding temp, and good serving temp. If it were me, I would change my plans to have it done within 4-8 hours of serving.

I've never held anything that long, so it'll be good to hear from folks that have....but holding for 14 hours at 170 seems like an awfully long time. Connective tissue breaks down at temps around 140 and up, so it may all be mush by the time you serve it. I would think 140 would be a better bet - safe holding temp, and good serving temp. If it were me, I would change my plans to have it done within 4-8 hours of serving.

Yeah changing plans is what I was hoping to avoid. Unfortunately, it’s exactly what I probably have to do. What do you think would be the longest time to hold in a cooler?

I've never held over 4-6 hours in towels and such.
I HAVE cooked and then taken it once it has cooled down a bit and just put it in the fridge. The next day I have warmed up back up in the oven while still wrapped in the foil and had zero issues.

Hell this is my mother's preferred method for briskets. She reheats the next day and slices at that time.
I've even reheated Pork Butt/Shoulder this way back up to 165F IT and shredded :)

I think this may be the best approach. The flavor is even better despite the fridge rest. I hope this option gives some food for thought :)

Reactions: jpayer
I've never held over 4-6 hours in towels and such.
I HAVE cooked and then taken it once it has cooled down a bit and just put it in the fridge. The next day I have warmed up back up in the oven while still wrapped in the foil and had zero issues.

Hell this is my mother's preferred method for briskets. She reheats the next day and slices at that time.
I've even reheated Pork Butt/Shoulder this way back up to 165F IT and shredded :)

I think this may be the best approach. The flavor is even better despite the fridge rest. I hope this option gives some food for thought :)

Thanks, this may be what I do. In your experience, after cooling down in the fridge, how much time should I allow in the oven to reheat? I know it’s not an exact science, I just need a baseline to go from so I’m not late for the party.

Thanks, this may be what I do. In your experience, after cooling down in the fridge, how much time should I allow in the oven to reheat? I know it’s not an exact science, I just need a baseline to go from so I’m not late for the party.

Also, what’s the best oven temp to use when reheating?

Thanks everyone for replying!
Jason

Also, what’s the best oven temp to use when reheating?

Thanks everyone for replying!
Jason

I've never written it down so going off of memory here.

Reheat at oven temp of 325F. Allow 2 hours to be safe and I think you could crank up to 350F if you need to.
I take it to 160F but I have read that some people reheat brisket to 140F. I think you would hit 140F in about an hour and a half or less but give yourself more time and if you go a little over 160F that should be no problem. Just wrap in towels and head to your destination. Heck I would think you might want to go a little on the higher side since you have to travel some, this way the temp won't drop too to a less desirable serving temp on ya :)

I know for pulled pork I've had to get it to 160F to pull it easily. At lower temps it didn't want to shred but at 160F or higher I had no issues. I cooked the pork butt to like 208F the day before and left it whole for reheating and shredding/pulling the next day.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: jpayer
I've never written it down so going off of memory here.

Reheat at oven temp of 325F. Allow 2 hours to be safe and I think you could crank up to 350F if you need to.
I take it to 160F but I have read that some people reheat brisket to 140F. I think you would hit 140F in about an hour and a half or less but give yourself more time and if you go a little over 160F that should be no problem. Just wrap in towels and head to your destination. Heck I would think you might want to go a little on the higher side since you have to travel some, this way the temp won't drop too to a less desirable serving temp on ya :)

I know for pulled pork I've had to get it to 160F to pull it easily. At lower temps it didn't want to shred but at 160F or higher I had no issues. I cooked the pork butt to like 208F the day before and left it whole for reheating and shredding/pulling the next day.

I hope this info helps :)

Great info. Thank you! Look for my posts tomorrow of the smoke. Q-view will be present as well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky