Brisket help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

350fenlon

Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Northern Michigan
Ive never done a brisket before, and I’m going to attempt my first one for a big family dinner on Sunday... It’s a 14 pounder, what temp, techniques and cooking times do y’all recommend??

Thanks in advance

I just did a trimmed 14lb brisket, I did it at 225 through the night/ day as I am on night shift, it was a 15hr smoke at that temp. 225-275 seems to be the norm for temps for the low and slow way. When you can insert a toothpick with little to no resistance then its done, Internal Temp IT could be 197-208 region. When mine is done I wrap in parchment paper then towels and put in the cooler to rest, usually 2-4 hrs. When you put it on remember the grain pattern so you can slice across the grain, ( or stick a toothpick in part way same way as the grain) What are you using for a seasoning? I use a simple mix of SPOG for a rub. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Start touching it with your hands when you think it should be done. Seriously it is the best way I know to realize when its done. Its shakes like a bowl full of jello, like Santa's big belly. Poking and probing works fine but the best ones I have pulled when they just felt right. Like Charlie said, low and slow then wrap. I think BDSkelly has been making some fine looking briskets these day, shoot him a tell and ask for his secrets. Or just search around here. Briskets to me are the crowning achievement to a smoker. Its all about your knowledge of your pit. when you can consistently smoke a outstanding brisket, you can call yourself "Pitmaster" IMHO.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

I’m just using a plain ole Canadian steak rub on it...

How long would you say it takes?? About an hour per pound?

I’ve heard of people wrapping them and putting them in a cooler for a couple hours. Does that really help? Ian that like the resting period before you cut into it?

How long it takes is dependent on how hot your smokers running, and how quickly the brisket wants to breakdown it's inner fatties. Traditional briskets are rubbed with just SP, but Canadian steak rub can be used if you like the flavor. Wrapping them and putting them into a cooler is mainly for holding them hot until your ready to serve. If the brisket is done at 4:30pm and you want to eat at 5. Then just wrap/tent in foil and let it rest.

Chris

No advice on the brisket , but a comment on the Canadian steak seasoning . I've found it can become to salty on long cooks .

I always advise against trying something new for an event and stick to something you got nailed (if I screwed something up my family would never stop reminding me of it).

Reactions: chopsaw
This is an old time/temp chart I had stuck in here. Smoking is NOT an exact science, wood, weather, pit, meat and lots of others are modifiers. Its why we all generally recommend to start with that folks use a remote meat thermometer. It insures not only safety to meats but also helps you be able to eat what you smoke with a smile on your face. Well at least now a scowl. LOL

TEMPERATURES.jpg

Its about as accurate as I have found. Remember its only a guide, use the force.

Reactions: 350fenlon
On the other hand family can be more forgiving (well, some are). That being said, kind of agree that a 1st time brisket attempt for a big family dinner is a bit on the bold side. Best of luck.

Remove the hard fat, leave a 1/4" fat on, highly recommend going true on seasoning, using 50-50 salt & black pepper that reasonably covers the brisket. Just not so heavy that the meat can't be seen. Weight all the trimmings so you can know how much weight will actually be smoked. A number of variables will affect the timing. Weight, smoker temp and the piece of meat itself. Know your grate temp, hood gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Lately I've been smoking at 270º and with a trimmed packer of around 14# and they been getting done roughly around the 45 min/lb mark. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: 350fenlon
No advice on the brisket , but a comment on the Canadian steak seasoning . I've found it can become to salty on long cooks .
A family friend bought, trimmed, and seasoned it for me... she just wants me to smoke it for tomorrow... I don’t think I would have used that seasoning personally... guess I’ll let ya know how it turns out!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

Go big or go home. GOOD LUCK!

Leave that thing on there until it probes like jello. Rest a few hours wrapped in a cooler or 170F oven. Do not slice until serving.

what time did you put it on? im guessing it has a wood tray? water pan? remember, that when you open that door to check, you roughly ADD another half an hour to your cooking time. Are you running any external thermometer in the meat?
zwiller is right, and ONLY cut whats going to be consumed at that moment. if you cut it all, it will dry out QUICK!
what temp is the meat now??

I got it on at around 3 am... does have a water and wood tray, I loaded them both up as full as I could when I first put it on. I didn’t open the door for the first 5 hours, checked the temp, was at 160. Pulled it out, wrapped it in foil, filled water pan again and stuck it back in... it’s been in uninterrupted for almost 4 hours now... (since I wrapped it) gonna wait about another hour and check temp again

remember, its still gonna rise in temp when you pull it out! im guessing the thermometer is in the point? when you pull it, leave it wrapped until its time to eat. are you catchin the drippings into/ onto anything?

203 IT. 225 cook for 14-16 hrs.
At 150 you will have the "stall" - dont panic. Wrap TIGHTLY in foil, with some juices, beer, some of the spices you like, and put back in till it hits 203. Theres nothing else to it - only patience. Dont open it, dont look at it, dont do ANYTHING.
At the end, let sit for 2hrs b4 slicing.
Brisket is easier to cook GREAT than Chicken.

81BCDC97-B762-4E27-B8B1-63E185553504.jpeg
Well the brisket was a success!!

Chopsaw, you were right... the Canadian Steak seasoning was a bit overwhelming... but it was still good!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky