Brisket for Mother

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TexasMuskrat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
Andrews, TX
Hello all,
Today is my mother's birthday. She moved to Texas recently and asked me to cook a brisket. Got a good deal on it. $2.49/lb 13 lb brisket. Trimmed lb of fat. Smoking on DinaGlo Vertical Smoker. Pecan wood, charcoal.

Been on since 9am CST, current IT 141.
Hoping it starts picking up. Been 140 IT for 2 hours now. First time having it stall that low in IT.
Sides will be salad and poppers.
I'll keep you posted! IMG_0508.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
Looks like a great start. I really like smoking with pecan, great color and flavor. What pit temp are you running? You still have a ways to go so don’t get concerned about that stall just yet.

Reactions: TexasMuskrat
Looks like a great start. I really like smoking with pecan, great color and flavor. What pit temp are you running? You still have a ways to go so don’t get concerned about that stall just yet.
I am running at 225-275. Fluctuations happen when i have to add fuel. Unfortunately running cheap charcoal so it burns faster.
Not to concerned just never had one stall at that temp. Usually happens at 160 to 165 for me

I am running at 225-275. Fluctuations happen when i have to add fuel. Unfortunately running cheap charcoal so it burns faster.
Not to concerned just never had one stall at that temp. Usually happens at 160 to 165 for me
Yes it does usually happen around 160* but, I’ve seen lower and as high as 180* I’m never nervous to wrap to kill that stall. Then you can always unwrap close to the end and firm up the bark a bit and finish to probe tender.

First off… Happy birthday to mom!
now…. That is a gorgeous brisket. You did good!

Jim

Yea, it might be a bit low for the usual stall, but every hunk a meat is different.
Looks like it turned out good anyway.
And sounds like mama was appreciative.
Happy birthday mom.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky