Brisket for Fathers Birthday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrod

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Ok Ya'll, Now I've been reading and reading through the forums this whole week before posting this. But I just feel I'm not finding the answers that I'm seeking. So please bear with me here.

I will be smoking my biggest brisket yet this weekend for my Father's 65th birthday. I haven't done many briskets and when I do them I'm in no hurry and they've turned out .. ok.

This weekend though I do have a time frame in which I need to have it done by. This is putting stress on me as I'm not sure what time to start my fire.

I'll be using my Large BGE and I'm smoking a 11.9 lb packer brisket.

My first issue is the brisket measures just under 20 inches long. My BGE only has an 18 1/4" cooking grate so I'm gonna be a bit long. I'm thinking I can trim back the point a bit to squeeze it in. With trimming it'll be tight, but I don't want the meat to be resting against the inside of the BGE. Two inches is a lot of trimming, any suggestions in this department would be greatly appreciated.

My other area of concern is time. I do a lot of pork shoulders and I use the 1.5hr per poind as a guide. Now I know this is a totally different meat and its not wise to use size as indicator of time; but I still like an idea to be able to plan my start time. I'm thinking of allowing a good 13-14hrs for this 11.9 lb brisket @ 225F. Any ideas or input here is appreciated.

I plan to cook the whole packer and separate the point from the flat and do burnt ends when its done. I've read enough posts here to feel confident in that area. Thank you to everyone for those contributions

As for wood, I'm planning to use a mix of hickory and apple. I will probably use more apple than hickory as hickory can be strong.

I'm going simple on the rub (I'm a taste the beef kinda guy) and using black pepper, kosher salt, and a little garlic/onion powder.

I don't plan to inject or marinade. I'm going to cook fat cap up and take it to about 190F IT as I want sliced brisket not pulled.

Any additional advice or input would be great!  I'm all ears (or eyes in this case.)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Start probing around 190 but don't pull it till the probe slides in and out like butter. Could be 190 or it could be 205 for it to get tender.

As far as time goes 1.5.hours per pound is a good guideline. But don't rush it cause it's done when it's done.

With the time change I think I'll be getting it on the smoker by 10pm. I'd like to allow a good 15hrs of cook time.

I guesd if it gets done early I'll keep it wrapped in towels In a cooler.

I'm watching , hope it turns out awesome and Happy Birthday to your dad!

I always plan 2 hours per pound with a 2 hour rest as well. It's ok if it is done early. Worst thing in the world is having a bunch of people over at a certain time for brisket and they either get tough brisket or pizza. GIVE YOURSELF LOTS OF EXTRA TIME

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
I always plan 2 hours per pound with a 2 hour rest as well. It's ok if it is done early. Worst thing in the world is having a bunch of people over at a certain time for brisket and they either get tough brisket or pizza. GIVE YOURSELF LOTS OF EXTRA TIME

Totally agree with timber here.... ya can wrap that brisky in foil, towels & it'll hold in your cooler for a good few hrs ! But trying to rush a brisky when ya have hungry folks usually doesn't end well.....

I always estimate one hour per pound plus two hours @235 for my briskets.  I always foil at 165 and take them to 195-197.  I have never been unhappy with the results.  A brisket right out of the smoker will keep in an ice chest wrapped in a couple of towels for at least 3 hours and most likely longer than that.  Three hours is as long as I have kept one, it was still hot when I sliced into it.

Good luck

Richard

Well my pit got a little hot last night. Not sure what happened as my BGE always stays consistent. I almost didn't set a temp alarm on my thermo.

I'm coming up on the 10hr mark and my IT is 185F.

Smells amazing though!

Your in good shape, like was stated earlier use the probe or toothpick test, when you hit 195 start probing with a toothpick and when it slides in with no resistance you are done, it could be anywhere 190-205 but feel will tell you better than temp, wrap and pack in a cooler with towels on bottom and top and it will hold for several hours easy, I have seen brisket and butts hold 4-5 hours, enjoy and update our pics

Bonz

Almost 12 hrs in now, just another 30min. My grate temp is staying pretty solid at 227F. The Brisket temp actually fell a couple degrees and my prob is saying 183F IT. I'm gonna open up the lid and poke it with my instant red thermo at 12hrs.

I'll snap a couple pics then.

popcorn.gif

Almost 12 hrs in now, just another 30min. My grate temp is staying pretty solid at 227F. The Brisket temp actually fell a couple degrees and my prob is saying 183F IT. I'm gonna open up the lid and poke it with my instant red thermo at 12hrs.

th_blowing-out-candles-emoticon.gif

Going to be great !

could it be the brisket is just stalling at a little higher temp?

did you see it stall earlier?

Just poked it with my instant read thermo. I'm getting 187F in the thickest part of the point and over 200F in the thinnest part of the flat.

Should I take it off and seperate the point from the flat now?
The thermo seems to slide in with very little resistance.

personally I would probably close it back up watch the wireless until the point hits 190 to 195 then pull it off and toss it in the cooler to rest

in my mind it will just let the fat render just that bit much more,  but I am no expert by any means

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky