Brisket flat - prevent drying out?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Godzilla

Original poster
Apr 13, 2020
Hey, everyone. I'm brand new to this forum, and I've been smoking for a couple years now and really enjoying learning the ins and outs. This winter - Super Bow Sunday, in fact - I bought a Pit Boss electric pellet smoker. I've had some very good results, and a couple of bad ones.

This weekend, I had a very bad one. I smoked an 8.57 pound flat from my local, trusted meat shop. I kept it at 225 all day, for probably 12-13 hours. The temperature probes were reading in the 203 to 207 range, as I recall, and even though I was getting some resistance, I pulled it off the smoker. The problem is it was tough and dry.

I've gotten pretty spooked reading that you can dry out a flat by leaving it on too long - a lot of the talk out there says you should pull a flat in the 185 to 190 range.

So I guess my two primary questions are:

(1) Have other people had experiences with the Pit Boss probes being off to this degree?

(2) How do I recognize that "sweet spot" between letting a flat stay on long enough and letting it stay on too long?

Thanks for the help. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm really looking forward to hearing some of you experts weigh in.

I have a pitboss pellet smoker, I never go by their probes or thermometers, I use a inkbird 4 probe to monitor my temps, i'm no pro at briskets but most folks don't go by temp, they use it for a guide to when they will start probing. probe should slide through brisket without any resistance. most will start probing around 190-205 internal temps.

I did not wrap it. At 190, it was still giving me a lot of resistance. Same at 195, 200, etc. At 206 or so I got a little bit freaked out, having read that you can dry it out, so I pulled it off. I probably need a better thermometer.

Did it pass the pull test? If the brisket was truly tough, then it was most likely undercooked. A brisket that is undercooked will seem dry.

I've gotten pretty spooked reading that you can dry out a flat by leaving it on too long - a lot of the talk out there says you should pull a flat in the 185 to 190 range.

I say ignore suggestions to pull brisket at a specific temperature. Internal temperatures determines the rate that it tenderizing, but not when it reaches optimum tenderness. Your best bet is to wait until it probes tender.

Ice water test your probes. A digital secondary thermometer will be probably be a better option.

I always wrap my flats around 160. Sure if you love bark it will loose some of it but you can minimize it by making sure the wrap is tight so it doesnt steam. Wrapping this way has proven well for me. My first flat was dry and then someone gave me the pointer to wrap the flat around 160. I do this on full packets as well. Again I'm not that big on bark so it works for me.

As mentioned above start probing around 190 and let the probing determine when to pull.

Flats only can be tough to master. A well known member has a recipe that involves panning and adding juice for additional moisture.
Tough generally means undercooked, as others have mentioned.

don’t be afraid to try a whole packer.

I agree I. Can’t go strictly by temp, I will say in my experience “probe tender” for me in brisket isnt like “probe tender” in some other cuts. My first couple briskets when I started probing I was looking for a hot butter few, no resistance. Well I just kept cooking the hell out of the things cause at no point was it probing like warm butter. I’ve had shoulders probe with no resistance but for me somewhere around 200 it slides in relatively easily, but I wouldn’t say there’s no resistance. When I’ve looked for no resistance I’ve overcooked them. But thats why brisket is the true test. Just thought I’d throw that out there. It was my 3rd or so before I cooked a really good one. But with the pain once you get it
Hey, everyone. I'm brand new to this forum, and I've been smoking for a couple years now and really enjoying learning the ins and outs. This winter - Super Bow Sunday, in fact - I bought a Pit Boss electric pellet smoker. I've had some very good results, and a couple of bad ones.

This weekend, I had a very bad one. I smoked an 8.57 pound flat from my local, trusted meat shop. I kept it at 225 all day, for probably 12-13 hours. The temperature probes were reading in the 203 to 207 range, as I recall, and even though I was getting some resistance, I pulled it off the smoker. The problem is it was tough and dry.

So I guess my two primary questions are:

(1) Have other people had experiences with the Pit Boss probes being off to this degree?

(2) How do I recognize that "sweet spot" between letting a flat stay on long enough and letting it stay on too long?

Thanks for the help. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm really looking forward to hearing some of you experts weigh in.

Any reason you chose to wrap at 190? I would say it sat on there too long. I cooked a whole 15ish pounder this weekend and it only took 14 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky