Brisket done how long can it rest safely

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Wrapped it in towels and placed it in the cooler going to be in there for at least 6hrs will it hold okay? What temp should it be at when I go to slice it?

I believe the internal temperature of the brisket should not drop below 140 degrees. It's my understanding that anything below that temperature for a long period of time bacteria will start to form and it is no longer safe. I could be wrong as I often am but that is what I've been told. I have kept my brisket in a warmer set at 145 degrees for 12 hours before. Turned out amazing.

You can keep it indefinitely in an oven set at 170, which is the lowest that most ovens go. However if you have an oven that will go down to 145-150, that would be perfect. Just keep it tightly wrapped in 2 layers of heavy duty foil.
Al

SmokinAl - thanks for teaching me something. I didn't realize you could hold it at 170 without it becoming overcooked. I'm new at all of this so I guess you could say I received my degree from youtube.com! Appreciate your wisdom. Now I can use my oven instead of trying to make shift a warmer every time I cook a brisket if it's done way before dinner time. Thanks again

Reactions: binnesman
To me the longer the rest the better for brisket. I forget who suggested it but MES is perfect for testing: set at 140F. I;d put in a tray and foil.

To me the longer the rest the better for brisket. I forget who suggested it but MES is perfect for testing: set at 140F. I;d put in a tray and foil.
I used my old MES30 for my last brisket to hold it over night. I set mine to 163 and put an old adobe tile in to help as a heat sink. Temps stayed +\- 1 degree for 17 hours till I sliced the brisket. Highly recommend trying a longer rest of 12+ hours if you have the ability to do it.

Reactions: zwiller
If you watch BBQ shows on TV and see cookers with 40 briskets going at once, you can be assured they have holding chambers that allow the cooked briskets to stay moist and ready to carve for at least 24 hours.
Franklin's for one does this for sure.

If you watch BBQ shows on TV and see cookers with 40 briskets going at once, you can be assured they have holding chambers that allow the cooked briskets to stay moist and ready to carve for at least 24 hours.
Franklin's for one does this for sure.
Mad scientist BBQ was talking about Franklin holding his brisket for about 12 hours before serving.

We normally rest the brisket in an ice chest with a towel, for a minimum of 6 hours. It is still hot when we slice it. And tender.

I believe the internal temperature of the brisket should not drop below 140 degrees. It's my understanding that anything below that temperature for a long period of time bacteria will start to form and it is no longer safe. I could be wrong as I often am but that is what I've been told. I have kept my brisket in a warmer set at 145 degrees for 12 hours before. Turned out amazing.

Good post, you are Correct...Sort Of...
Yes, the USDA recommends Hot Food be held 140+. But, that is Hot food that will be Exposed to Bacteria, like a pan of Pulled Pork on a Buffet, and by Regulations in Restaurants and Food Service operations with often poorly trained and less than conscientious workers.
Realistically, if you pull a 225°F Brisket out of the smoker and Immediately wrap it in Paper or Foil, cover that in Towels and place the whole deal in a Clean Cooler. It really does not matter how low the IT goes over the next 12 hours or so.
It would take some seriously Beefed up, Genetically Modified, Super Bacteria to get in to a Closed Cooler, passed a couple layers of Towels, through the Foil or Greasy Paper, on to the less than 140° " Salted " Brisket and then, multiple to any Dangerous Numbers!
Now if you or your family/guests open that cooler and start Picking at the meat, with Dirty Fingers, we are back to making sure the meat Stays above 140°F...JJ☺

For those of you that rest the brisket in the oven for extended period of time, do you wrap an additional layer of foil on top of the butcher paper? I was thinking it may impact the bark you try to preserve when using the butcher paper.

I've been putting it in an aluminum pan, but when I do more than two briskets, I can't fit it all in the oven using a pan. May end up layering the oven racks with foil to catch drippings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky