Brining Fresh Hocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ricko54

Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Rockford, Michigan
Picked up some nice big fresh hocks from the slaughter house I'd like to smoke.
With that said, I'm looking for a Brine ( cover only or injectable) recipe, if injectable then % per pound, and soak time in days.
Thx

I make up an injection with liquid at 10% the meat weight (minus bone weight) then 1.5% salt, .75% sugar and .25% cure #1, I also add phosphate at .4% and sodium erythorbate at .05% all to meat weight, then inject all of the mixture into the meat on a 1” grid paying close attention around and along the bone. This makes excellent hocks. I do hams the same way.

If this is your first go with hocks and brining, I second Pop's brine. Mix the brine up, inject it into the hocks all around the bone, and then let it soak in the brine for at least a week, for hocks, I would go 12-14 days.

Take them out of the brine, pat dry, then put them in the frig for 12-24 hours and then smoke until done.

If this is your first go with hocks and brining, I second Pop's brine. Mix the brine up, inject it into the hocks all around the bone, and then let it soak in the brine for at least a week, for hocks, I would go 12-14 days.

Take them out of the brine, pat dry, then put them in the frig for 12-24 hours and then smoke until done.
Hi CB
Is there a way to message or talk to you directly by email? I am in Oklahoma City and I see you are in Dallas. I have been on the forum but off for a few years.
Thanks
mds51

Thats the simplicity of pops brine, it makes a gallon probably on the lower end of the scale but always safe, cover meat and inject if thick or around bones. no algabra to determine anything :emoji_laughing:

How much meat weight in 5lbs of hocks?. I'm not trying to start any shit but there is no reliable way to get close when a lot of bones are involved, overdoing the cure can be toxic and cause cancer. the measurements in pops is a known safe brine. I'm not posting anything else fighting Covid and a bad report on lung xrays so really don't feel like arging

How much meat weight in 5lbs of hocks?. I'm not trying to start any shit but there is no reliable way to get close when a lot of bones are involved, overdoing the cure can be toxic and cause cancer. the measurements in pops is a known safe brine. I'm not posting anything else fighting Covid and a bad report on lung xrays so really don't feel like arging
I understand Mike.
That said, it’s a judgement call, we make them all the time in life. At least I’ll know what I applied to the meat. In a brine it’s anyone’s guess. I’m not here to fight either. So you do you, and that’s fine. If we happen to disagree, well that needs to be fine as well. It’s a great big world and lots of ways to get from A to B. Hope you kick that crap and get to feeling better.

I'll put my vote in for Pop's brine as well! All arguments aside, it was proven to be safe and worked well for many many years. Not to mention an easy way for beginners... probably it's best point.

Ryan

Thats the simplicity of pops brine, it makes a gallon probably on the lower end of the scale but always safe, cover meat and inject if thick or around bones. no algabra to determine anything :emoji_laughing:
A couple of notes on Pop's Brine.... There is a wide range of salt and sugar, and Pop's used granulated non-iodized or sea salt. So, you need to find your personal "sweet spot" when it comes to salt and sugar.

POP’S BRINE:
For every 1 gallon of water, add:
1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)
1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda
1 cup brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar mix
1 heaping tablespoon of Cure #1

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky