Boston Butt Advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just remember, every time you open it to peek. You add about 10 minutes to your cook time. If you're looking your not cooking. Looks like you got a good start. Keep the pics coming.

So back to foiling....I definitely want to see a good bark, but more importantly I want to be sure this thing falls apart.  Fail-safe method foil it up?

Just remember, every time you open it to peek. You add about 10 minutes to your cook time. If you're looking your not cooking. Looks like you got a good start. Keep the pics coming.
Thanks man, yeah I only plan to pull the lid a few times for mopping.  I am cooking everything else today on the grill so I mess with the smoker as little as possible today.  Next mop I will take another picture once I have help with the camera (everyone still asleep lol).

Over four hours in, and i'm at 156* woohoo!

Mopped it twice, and here's the most recent shot:

0a5fdc42_IMG_20120701_124815.jpg

Yeppers, she's stalled out right on cue!  As tempting as it sounds S2K9K I'm resisting the beverage till my pops gets here so we can crack em at the same time hahaa......still resisting....still resisting...so hot out....still resisting...hahaa

Sooo.....it's been four hours since the stall began, and I'm still reading 159*. The only thing I've done is mop it twice, then once I saw 159* I decided to foil it since it's taking so long....as usual I'm beginning to worry. I'm reading a steady +/- 230* (fluctuating as usual on the electric smoker) on my smoker temps.....Any tips? It's 5:30...can I really expect this thing to break the stall and shoot up forty degrees in an hour???

Man I feel your pain. I have an 8lb butt going right now too. I put it on at 10:40 last night at 225. I checked the temp at 8:30 am and I was about 150 deg. I wrapped it in foil and upped my temp to 235. Checked it again at 11:15 am and was at 172 deg. I bumped it to 250 and have been around 190-195 since about 3:40 pm. (All times Central)

This is my first butt to do and I found this forum today, so I would have done things a little different if I had found it earlier. 

I wish you luck and I am sure it will be great once you take it off.

Not gonna do it in an hour! But it will get done, just be patient! The 2 I did yesterday sat at about 162 for over 4 hours so just hang in there!

Sorry I'm late but yes you can add Brn Sugar before going in the Smoker. If you didn't no worries get it next time, there is some in the Finishing Sauce...JJ

Man I feel your pain. I have an 8lb butt going right now too. I put it on at 10:40 last night at 225. I checked the temp at 8:30 am and I was about 150 deg. I wrapped it in foil and upped my temp to 235. Checked it again at 11:15 am and was at 172 deg. I bumped it to 250 and have been around 190-195 since about 3:40 pm. (All times Central)

This is my first butt to do and I found this forum today, so I would have done things a little different if I had found it earlier. 

I wish you luck and I am sure it will be great once you take it off.
Good luck today!!! Mine has hopped up to near 180 now...so I'm feeling better lol

So.....stuffed....uggg!!! 

cdba82a9_IMG_20120701_194251.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice! This is the first thing I've made that's made it all worth it!

d5b97dbe_IMG_20120701_210754.jpg

By the way, hit 195 and pulled, let it sit for barely 10 minutes before we just tore it apart.  Smoke took a tad longer than expected, so needless to say it was like fending off starving animals haha.  No leftovers...bummed hahaa

An empty pot pretty much indicates you Nailed it! Good Job...JJ

This has been what I have found as well. My family and friends have been going crazy over this finishing sauce. I have been making PP frequently lately...JJ

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.
THIS IS AN AWESOME finishing sauce .. we were all a little Hmmm I don't know .. then tried it .. perfect addition to pulled pork Great recipe Chef JJ .. Very good !!
I leave this in the fridge for several days .. the flavors are amazing ..

Couldn't have done it without everyone's help!  And you're right, feels soo good to get one right!  Stuck the fork in it and it basically exploded into shredded pork hahaa.  Smile on my face--priceless hahaa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky