Boneless leg of lamb...tough skin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
First time smoking a couple small (2.5 lb) boneless legs of lamb this afternoon. Temp steady at 250ish using apple wood. Smoked for right at 2 hrs to IT of 140. Rested for an hour before slicing. Very tender and juicy meat but the skin was very tough. You could bite the meat off of it. What did I do wrong?

Reactions: Walchit
The “skin” you are probably talking about is the “Fell”, a subcutaneous layer of fascia that overlies the layer of fat nearest the meat.
You can cook it as long as you want, and it will only get tougher.

Next time, trim it off, and score the underlying fat before you rub and cook/smoke it.

Also, a lot of folks cook lamb a little closer to 130 than 140, but if you liked it, more power to you!

The “skin” you are probably talking about is the “Fell”, a subcutaneous layer of fascia that overlies the layer of fat nearest the meat.
You can cook it as long as you want, and it will only get tougher.

Next time, trim it off, and score the underlying fat before you rub and cook/smoke it.

Also, a lot of folks cook lamb a little closer to 130 than 140, but if you liked it, more power to you!

Thanks for the tips! These were actually pre marinated/seasoned and wrapped in netting so I don't think there was anything else on my end to do other than cook it. But I will give this a shot if I ever do another and pull it 10 degrees sooner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky