Bone-In or No Bone? Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cnet24

Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Hi All,

Going to give another try on a smoked pork butt this weekend on my MES. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations to fix the lack of smoke issue... this time I'm wondering what pork butt to buy. My local grocery store has both bone-in and bone out pork butts to choose from, usually ranging from 3-5 lbs each. Would there be a reason to choose the bone-in cut instead of the bone-out? It doesn't make sense to me to pay a price per lb if part of that weight is not edible (bone), but if it affects taste, etc I'd be willing to buy it.

Some things taste better with the Bone In.
However when it comes to a Boston Butt (Pork Butt), and if I was going to make pulled Pork, I'd go with whichever one is the best buy. When you smoke a Butt for Pulled Pork, the Bone just falls out when it's done anyway, and it doesn't weigh much.

Bear

Hi All,

Going to give another try on a smoked pork butt this weekend on my MES. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations to fix the lack of smoke issue... this time I'm wondering what pork butt to buy. My local grocery store has both bone-in and bone out pork butts to choose from, usually ranging from 3-5 lbs each. Would there be a reason to choose the bone-in cut instead of the bone-out? It doesn't make sense to me to pay a price per lb if part of that weight is not edible (bone), but if it affects taste, etc I'd be willing to buy it.
I only buy Bone-in. I feel the bone helps flavor. But, my butts usually weigh 8-10 lbs.
Also, look at Price per Pound. Many times, the PPP is lower if it is bone in.
But, a blade bone doesn't weigh much. I'd buy what looked tasty to me.

as the others said, if there is a big price difference go with bone in if they are pretty close in price go boneless, I personally don't think the bone will give the pork butt anymore flavor, but as said it doesn't weigh that much to worry about it adding a lot to cost.

I avoid boneless if I can.
It seems to me that the extra surface area just leads to less moisture in the whole butt when it’s all said and done. I know I could probably shorten my cook time or make other adjustments to allow for this, but the sheer simplicity of rubbing and tossing two 10 pound butts in an electric smoker, setting it at an appropriate temp, and walking away for 12 or so hours, knowing that you are going to have outstanding product when you pull it out is a serious incentive not to change what works.

That bone is your built in temp gauge, When it pulls out clean it's done.
Usually the bone in are cheaper around here

Gary

I really don't think you'll be able to tell a difference in taste. Go for which ever is the best bang for the buck. The bone coming out clean is sort-of like the smoke ring. It looks good, but doesn't really add to the flavor. IMHO.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky