Bodacious Beef Ribs, No More Teasing, Time to Start Pleasing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man that looks good, would ya be offended if I only put the ribs and Avocado salad on my plate? Just can't bring myself to eat sweet potatoes, but if that's what I got to do to get a plate of those ribs and salad, I may have to force down the sweet potato LOL

Repurposing leftovers is a favorite of mine. Like!
Yes'sir, and BBQ'd meat is very versatile.
Man that looks good, would ya be offended if I only put the ribs and Avocado salad on my plate? Just can't bring myself to eat sweet potatoes, but if that's what I got to do to get a plate of those ribs and salad, I may have to force down the sweet potato LOL
LoL, thanks Pete.
You're gonna have to choke one down.
House rules with my kids, you at least have to try it.

Ribs Look Real Nice!!!!:)
I can't stand Sweet Potatoes either, but I absolutely Love "Sweet Potato Fries"!! Go Figure!!
Nice Job, John!
Like.

Bear

Those ribs look amazing. The only way they would look better to me is if I had one of them in my hand. Love the idea of the sweet potato. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Gotta give it a try. Great work as usual.

Great looking ribs!
With the 4th of July this week I may have to check and see if any places have extra beef ribs at a reasonable price. Brisket is on sale all over the Dallas area but haven't caught wind of any beef rib sales.

I hate sweet potatos....and the Mrs. came home with a six pack of sweet potato beer for me last night. I haven't tried it yet. :( That taco looks incredible!

Mike

Well...I'm hooked;)
It was good an hour after I made it yesterday,I know it's gonna be killer today!
KIMG0464.jpg

Reactions: chilerelleno
Those beef ribs look like the ones I bought last Saturday. I will definitely be following this thread to see the finished product.

Ribs Look Real Nice!!!!:)
I can't stand Sweet Potatoes either, but I absolutely Love "Sweet Potato Fries"!! Go Figure!!
Nice Job, John!
Like.

Bear
Those ribs look amazing. The only way they would look better to me is if I had one of them in my hand. Love the idea of the sweet potato. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Gotta give it a try. Great work as usual.
Great looking ribs!
With the 4th of July this week I may have to check and see if any places have extra beef ribs at a reasonable price. Brisket is on sale all over the Dallas area but haven't caught wind of any beef rib sales.
Really appreciate the Likes and kind comments, thanks guys.

Last edited:
This is a great model. 270-280 seems like a high temperature for smoking - I love the outcome, but never went that high before. Does the high temp allow for the fat to render and to create a bark bark easier?
How do know when the ribs need to be braised?

This is a great model. 270-280 seems like a high temperature for smoking - I love the outcome, but never went that high before. Does the high temp allow for the fat to render and to create a bark bark easier?
How do know when the ribs need to be braised?
Nope, 275°-300° is perfect for big beef short ribs.
It's great for a lot of other cooking too, poultry, bacon wrapped items, Butts, Briskets and more, Hot-n-Fast is getting popular.
Fats render just fine, great bark as you can see.
No braising necessary.

I’m now 3 hours in. Spritzed with some low sodium beef broth, but no wrap.
Not sure what the next step is. I’m looking for bark. Steven Raichlen says 8-10 hours, some of you have said 6 hours - every cook is different I know. I’m not adding any more wood chips, temp is 260. I’m guessing I just check on them here or there checking for tenderness— correct?

Attachments

• 2F1E3FB4-49DB-4C8B-A5BB-71020DD44813.jpeg
    2F1E3FB4-49DB-4C8B-A5BB-71020DD44813.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 52D56B16-3BD7-4D7B-AF97-E8303B11C9D0.jpeg
    52D56B16-3BD7-4D7B-AF97-E8303B11C9D0.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 18
  • E7AC911E-58F0-4188-A498-E6BB37045B16.jpeg
    E7AC911E-58F0-4188-A498-E6BB37045B16.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 17
I’m now 3 hours in. Spritzed with some low sodium beef broth, but no wrap.
Not sure what the next step is. I’m looking for bark. Steven Raichlen says 8-10 hours, some of you have said 6 hours - every cook is different I know. I’m not adding any more wood chips, temp is 260. I’m guessing I just check on them here or there checking for tenderness— correct?

If you want to put a meat probe into the biggest one then around 204-205F Interal Temp (IT) you could start checking for tenderness and if you stab all over with a toothpic, especially around the membraine/bone area and it goes in like butter then they are ready, if not keep cooking and test again in another degree or 2 :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky