BLT - Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well since Keith indaswamp indaswamp posted his BLT sammie back in early June. I've been jones'in for one. I stopped by the local farmers roadside stand and I picked up a few green house grown tomatoes and some freshly picked strawberries. Not quite garden grown quality tomatoes but pretty darn close, and a whole lot better than what the local grocer has for sale. It was in the lower 90s here with high humidity. I hadn't felt that kind of heat since we traveled to St. Louis a few years back.

Ok let's get this going.
Needless to say the beer pole played a major role in this cook. Got the Genny cracked open.

DSC05086.JPG

Next comes getting the bacon weave ready.
DSC05087.JPG

...and onto the Kettle. Note to self. Next time only use one charcoal basket when cooking bacon in the weave form. It fits but it's too tight and proper placement in between the baskets is difficult to achieve. I had to make adjustments on the fly to prevent burning of the edges. Once the bacon is cooked add the cheddar cheese.
DSC05090.JPG

Cheese is melted. Time to pull the weave off the kettle and cut it into quarters.
DSC05095.JPG

Prep the bread with mayo on both sides:
DSC05097.JPG

add two of the cut quarters from the weave. That's about a half pound of bacon on this sammie.
DSC05100.JPG

a bit of lettuce
DSC05103.JPG

and top it off with the tomato slices

DSC05106.JPG

Time to eat:
DSC05109.JPG

Thanks for hanging with me. The BLT hit the spot and most importantly satisfied my craving. We also cooked up some corn on the cob and baked potatoes. After the BLT I didn't feel like eating them. So they'll get eaten at some point today.

Chris

Looks great. The weave is beautiful. Congrats on the rotator ride. Maybe cut down on the grip strength exercises a bit, you are crushing the suds 😂
IMG_3963.jpeg

Mouth. Watering!!!!! Seriously....I'm salivating! BLT's are so good, top 3 summer foods for me.
Thanks Keith, As our summer progresses so will the BLT

Unique sandwich, I like it.
It solves the "I should have put more bacon on it" problem.
Appreciate it Bruce, If the wife wasn't home all that bacon would have made it's way onto my sandwich. I use the weave for almost all bacon included sammies and burgers. More bacon along with the lower profile can't be beat.

Chris

Congrats on the spinner ride... I like the bacon weave idea on the kettle for the BLT!!!
Thanks again Keith. Next time I use the 22" kettle I think I'll cut them into quarters before I put them on the grate. Easier to keep away from the direct heat.
Looks great. The weave is beautiful. Congrats on the rotator ride. Maybe cut down on the grip strength exercises a bit, you are crushing the suds 😂 View attachment 669840
LOL appreciate it FB. I'm blaming climate change.

Chris

Dang Chris! That's awesome! Congratulations on the Feature too!
Thanks Charlie, It was an excellent sandwich, but I didn't think it was spinner worthy.
Congrats on the ride. And that is a gorgeous sammich!

Jim
Appreciate it Jim, I've had a hankering for a good BLT for a while. Now I want more.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Thats a buiet Chris!
Thanks Civil
Really nice Chris . Look the kettle bacon weave you do . I'll have to try it .
Appreciate it Rich, Placement can be tricky, but its worth the effort. I'm gonna try cutting the weave before cooking it next time. When I dropped this one on the grate the edge was over the hot coals, and I had to fiddle with it to prevent burning.

Chris

Thanks Charlie, It was an excellent sandwich, but I didn't think it was spinner worthy.

Hey.. enjoy it! I've had a couple things featured lately and while not everyone agrees with those decisions, ya just have to appreciate someone highlighting your work!

Reactions: gmc2003
Love the weave and sanny Chris! Never tried a weave tho I'd like to, never use that much bacon at once. RAY

I am a BLT junky and yours looks top shelf! I never thought of doing a weave, thanks for the idea.

Dave

OK Chris, now you've gone and done it. I've been wanting a BLT with homegrown tomatoes since Keith's post, too and now you've pushed me over the edge...:emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky