Birthday Smoke in Hangtown - Pulled Pork et al

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HangtownSmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Placerville, Ca
So we had the inlaws over today to celebrate several September birthdays (including my wife's grandmother who turned 97 on Tuesday!). They wanted me to smoke something so I decided to do an overnight butt for PP (my first set and forget overnight). However, when I pulled out the smoker yesterday morning it was in the low 50's so I decided on a spur of the moment cheese smoke to kick things off. Sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and some Gouda for the wife.
IMG_0267.JPG

In the smoker for four hours over cherry. Ambient temps never got over 65 and smoke chamber stayed under 70.
IMG_0268.JPG

Ready to wrap up and age for a couple weeks.
IMG_0262.JPG

Anyway, back to the main event. I was able to find a 7+ lb. pork butt for $1.00 a lb! Decided to also do smoked mac n cheese and Dutch's beans (third time doing these in the last two months - everyone loves them). Used a basic pork rub borrowed from Chef Jimmy, and Jeff's recipe for the mac. Rubbed down the pork while the cheese was smoking and put in fridge uncovered for approx. 8 hours to form the pellicle. In the meantime put together the beans and mac.

IMG_0266.JPG

Fired up the smoker about 7:00 pm and set at 230*. Put the butt, beans, and mac in at 8:00 pm over an Amazn tube full of apple/hickory mix. IT of the butt was 42*. By midnight I was at an IT of 146* (a little surprised how quickly though the butt was on the bottom shelf closest to the burner) and out of the danger zone. Yanked the beans and mac, and refilled the Amazn and set the remote thermometer alarm (supposedly; it was midnight and I had been enjoying adult beverages). Woke on my own at 5:30 am and the IT was at 170*, I had apparently slept through the stall. Quickly ran downstairs and placed in aluminum pan with some apple cider vinegar-based foiling sauce, back in smoker still at 230*. By 10:00 am I hit the long waited for 200* (the old rule of thumb, 2 hours per lb., was spot on). Foiled tightly and put back in smoker at 100* to hold until guests arrived at 1:00 pm.

It had a pretty nice bark.

IMG_0265.JPG

Bone came out clean and easy.

IMG_0264.JPG

Easy shred with the claws (could have used forks but I need to use them since I have them...).

IMG_0263.JPG

Had to use some of Soflaquer's finishing sauce mixed with the defatted drippings from the pan, nothing else needed or asked for by anyone.

IMG_0259.JPG

The spread.

IMG_0261.JPG

And the payoff. Coleslaw is a must with PP for my family. Finished with a homemade pickle spear.

IMG_0260.JPG

I am pretty happy with my first overnight smoke. I got away with a couple minor slips but thankfully pork butts are pretty forgiving. Had to reheat the beans and mac in the oven; beans were great of course, but the mac was a little drier than I prefer though still good. Seems I was the only one to notice though. Everyone except my vegan (yet smart and beautiful) niece raved about the meal. Anyway, thanks for looking, and enduring a lengthy write up on a fairly common smoke. Just thought I would share since I used so much information from various sources on this forum which made it pretty damn easy.

Reactions: gmc2003
Great job. Id be happy with that if i was visiting.

Looks like a total success from my screen.

Point for sure.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky