Big C Needs Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coxc

Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
madera calif
I am new to smoking and have a cheap brinkman , i could not get the thing hot enough after my first try so i took some advice and drilled holes in the charcoal pan and then used chicken wire to lift the coals up for more air . i tried to smoke a tri tip this weekend and yes it got a little hotter but was still not holding the heat high enough . i was thinking about drilling more holes all around the coal pan for even more air . the smoker ran its hottest when all four vents were open . any sugestions are welcome , i know this takes time to figure out and i am in for the long haul . thanks

First off, be sure to leave your top vent mostly open. And second... you cannot beat an expanded metal basket for the coals. It's pretty much a must have. Your firepan would need to be mostly air Vs. metal to get near the expanded metal basket. Sooo... drill ALOT more holes. And look into getting a basket made.

Bottom vents control the airflow... leave full-bore until temps are reached... then adjust to maintain.

Are you using lump charcoal? You will get more heat and less ash with lump. I found that when I used charcoal briquets I could not get it near as hot as when I switched to lump. The ash from the briquets wanted to choke down the heat as it filled up the holes in the pan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky