Big bite juicer screen clogging

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
Anyone use one of these for making juice and sauces? We had to clean the screen 3 times when processing 40# of tomatoes to fill a stock pot to reduce for canning tomato sauce. It is still way faster than the old way, but just looking if there is some trick to prvent the pulp from clogging the screen.

Sorry, but I doubt it.
Perhaps removing the skins before running through the machine?

Removing the skins would be back to the previous way and take a lot more time than just stopping to clean the screens

Guess it's up to you, whichever way is quicker or involves less monkey business.

My parents have done tomatoes forever and tried lots and settled on a Victorio strainer. They heat them up before processing and that helps. Maybe it will for you. I processed tomatoes one time and if I get back into it again I will do it this way: Fire up the grill and sear the skins. They practically fall off after. I did everything outside and used a homebrew propane burner to cook/can. LOL Memories of my parents canning tomatoes in the kitchen on a 90F day and no AC... House smelled like a Heinz plant a week or so.

I found this also. There are more screens for the juicer and the one that comes with it is the berry once that is very fine.
berry screen holes measure 1/16"
high yield screen holes measure 3/16"
salsa screen holes measure 1/4"
lem-big-bite-juicer-screens-1200_1.jpg

I also found my buddy telling me he has a friend that quarters tomotes and smokes them. I would assume smoke one day and grind the next. He makes salsa like that and I would assume besides adding smoke flavor it also removes some of the reducing time. Not sure my wife would take to smoked sauce and she's not wanting smoked salsa. But I can get my daughter to do it and take the blame. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky