Best way to prep and smoke ribeye?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
I've never smoked ribeye before and I'm thinking about doing some this weekend, but wasn't sure what the best way to prep and cook it was. Any suggestions you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maybe a couple ideas here

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
Are you talking about steak or roast. Either way, I season mine with Montreal steak seasoning nd apply smoke at about 225 degrees until it reaches an internal temp of 110 and then remove and let rest for about 15 minutes and then over a screaming hot grate for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side until 125-130 degrees. That will yield a medium rare to rare finish.

Are you talking about steak or roast. Either way, I season mine with Montreal steak seasoning nd apply smoke at about 225 degrees until it reaches an internal temp of 110 and then remove and let rest for about 15 minutes and then over a screaming hot grate for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side until 125-130 degrees. That will yield a medium rare to rare finish.
Sorry,forgot to specify they're boneless steaks.

Thanks for the suggestion

Similar to Kruiser. But instead of Montreal, I dust liberally with only kosher salt for 1 hour at room temp before cooking. Then cook indirect heat at 250-325F with oak (and maybe a bit of mesquite). The lower temp will take longer so will be smokier, and higher temp will be less smokey but may let the beef flavor dominate. With a good ribeye I would go for somewhat less smokiness. Whichever you choose, remove at about 110-115F and let rest for 5-10 minutes, then reverse sear directly over hot coals. If steaks are much less than 1" thick, I would skip smoking with indirect heat and just grill it directly over (hardwood?) coals.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky