Best Position For The Auber Temperature Probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

front sight

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 14, 2015
Some of the reading from Auber states: The Auber PID comes standard with a removable probe. Probe placement can affect the reading received by the PID, so you want to be as consistent as possible when placing the probe in the smoker. They recommend placing it on the highest shelf, but make sure it’s at least 2” away from the cold meat. If it’s too close, it will think the temperature is lower than actual temperature, and will give a false reading to the PID.

I like what chopsaw did with the probe: He removed the internal meat probe ( 2 screws inside , 2 screws under the controller and pull it out ) and re used the grommet and bracket to run the sensor thru the back of the smoker . It seems very consistent due to the placement (exactly the same place, every time)
446035-8f62bf020691e53cd2ddc32ad7d1cd22.jpg

So what do you believe is the best placement for the Auber Temperature Probe?
1) Down thru the vent placing it on the highest shelf or some other shelf

2) Or thru the back wall. If you did this one how far from the top would you place the probe and would you do it dead center?

Attachments

• Probe1.jpg
    Probe1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 26
I ran the probe through the vent, and clipped on the right side of the top rack. It's about 2-3 inches from the cold meat. Now I wonder if it should be moved wither to the next rack down, or somehow further away from the meat. Suggestions?

Mine is pretty much centered both ways . I leave the sensor in the smoker , and just like the wires out of the way .
At first , I would pull the probe to different parts of the smoker , and clip it on the rack next to the meat . I found that leaving it in the mount gives me the best results . I pull it thru so all the metal ( no wires ) shows .
I hung therms to read chamber temps and compare to the reading on the Auber , then adjusted the Auber to match the probe next to it .
I have some time in adjusting settings on mine , and run it in full PID mode , and it's gets to temp and stays there until I open the door .

However you do it , it will be better than it was and them some .
I would try it thru the vent , or door first . Then if you can decide if you want to drill a hole .

Reactions: MJB05615
I don't have a PID, but if I did, I would put it in the center-most area of where all the meat is, but about 2 to 3" from any of the pieces of meat, to avoid getting a false reading due to the cold meat in the beginning of the Smoke. That's why I put my Maverick probe where I put it.

Bear

Down through the top vent and clipped on top rack center close to back wall is same temp as middle of rack below the top rack in mine. I use the middle two racks for meat and the top rack to manage probes, wires, pizza and dishes.

I put mine through the grommet (ala Chopsaw) and just have the probe in that location. In this pic you can see the probe and also see a second Thermaworks Smoke probe for a second temp check.
DSC_0967 (2).jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky