Best Budget Knives?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Who puts knives in a dishwasher? Mine are hand washed and dried. Wood handles get a dose of mineral oil as needed. I've seen postings on chowhound where folks will only buy knives if they are dishwasher proof. Never understood that. But hey, I am old.

I agree 100% - but not all do...like my wife. That's why I mentioned not dishwasher safe...

Part of my job deals with soil samples. We (ab)use Old Hickory knives in there to chop up our samples. They last a really long time even under those conditions.

Thanks for all of the input. The NSF certified is nice, but not vital for me.

I do like good looks. While some of the Dexter Russels and other NSF knives are great and very practical, I am still drawn to the different styles.

After doing some more looking around, I've found a few brands of interest that are above the budget and some that are in it.

Any additional specific experience with any of these?

Above budget:
- Dalstrong (Gladiator)
- Wusthof (budget lines)
- Shun

Options in budget:
- Mercer
- Kuma
- Victorinox
- Henckels

illimi40, I checked out the Dalstrong knives on the net and they seem pretty nice but by no meand "budget". Which model do you have, and have you used it on a cooked brisket with good results? The knife I now use is serrated and it just tears up the bark and the meat. Hate that that so I'm looking to get a new carving knife.

I have the Gladiator model. It is awesome and slices really well. No serations.

Victorinix Fibrox lineups good. Mercer are very widely used commercially. I have some of both and they are pretty good for the price point. I have a Henckels 4 star santoku I caught on Amazon sale last year for about $60 that has held a nice edge too. My overall favorite is a higher price at $99 which is my Miyabi Chef knife. Have had for a year and is sharp enough for surgery :)

Any more specifics on the Mercer or Henckels that you have used? The Fibrox looks like it is a solid performer, however, the other styles are intriguing to me.

My everyday knives are Nexus knives. https://www.cutleryandmore.com/nexus Some of these are over your $50 price, some are under it. These are really great knives, the ones with the BD1N steel, for the price, they hold an edge very well, even my wife can't kill them. BD1N is American made tool steel and is very hard but does not chip the edge, like some hard steels. I highly recommend them for everyday use.

I have not seen these before. I'm going to check them out! Do you have experience with any other brands to compare to?

I don't know if they make other knives that are good, but this one from Victorinox is absolutely spectacular. It is the best knife I own, and I have a lot of so-called "high end" knives from Henckles and others:

Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8-Inch Chef's Knife

Thank you. I've seen a lot of reviews on the Fibrox being a great knife. What are some of the other "high end" knives that you have compared it to?

We have some Shun knives that were more than we wanted to spend when we bought them. So far we find them very sharp and they hold sharp edge well so we'll see in time I guess. My wife said absolutely they're the best knives she's ever used and she's slicing and dicing way more than I am? They are nice knives.

We have some Shun knives that were more than we wanted to spend when we bought them. So far we find them very sharp and they hold sharp edge well so we'll see in time I guess. My wife said absolutely they're the best knives she's ever used and she's slicing and dicing way more than I am? They are nice knives.

Buy Once, Cry Once...often comes into play with any good tool...JJ

I have not seen these before. I'm going to check them out! Do you have experience with any other brands to compare to?
My personal use knives, not for the wife, are a mix of Yaxell Dragon https://www.cutleryandmore.com/yaxell and Masamoto https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavg18gy.html I don't have any real expensive Japanese knives, as I just can't see the value in them. The Dragon knives have the same BD1N steel but are better quality and if you can swing the price, get a couple just for yourself. My Masamoto Gyuto is actually my favorite knife but does not hold an edge near as long as the Dragons. The Nexus knives replaced a set of J.A. Henckel Zilling Four Star knives and I feel they are better knives and certainly hold an edge longer.

Buy Once, Cry Once...often comes into play with any good tool...JJ
My grandfather's version of that was "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Given how important a good knife is to preparing meals, it is one thing I would never compromise. The beauty of that Victorinix I linked to is that there is no compromise: it has the balance, the sharpness, and the "feel" of a $150 knife.

If you go for the Henckels brand, they have quite a few lines, and they are NOT all high-end. The really good ones have a wonderful balance and feel and hold their edge for a long time. Like most manufacturers, I think they have re-designed to go to the Asian 15 degree angle blade instead of the traditional European 22.5 degree.

If I were in the market for knives, I'd definitely go to a good cutlery store handle a few different knives to feel their balance, weight, and look at the overall design.

This thread is great as I am in the market for a boning knife. So many choices!! My absolute favorite knife is my Miyabi 8” chef. It’s not like moly beautiful and comfortable In the hand, it is scalpel sharp and has held that edge for well over a year.

My advice would be to buy one good chef's knife, then determine what other knives you need. Your going to use the chef's knife everyday, & a good boning knife is something your going to want too. I have about 50 knives, but only use 2 or 3 of them on a regular basis. For inexpensive everyday knives, Sam's Club sells several in their restaurant supply dept., that will do the job nicely, but you will have to sharpen them often.
Al

I really like this knife... Thin blade... doesn't stick to anything you are slicing...
Kitchen + Home Non Stick Sushi Knife - The Original 8 inch Stainless Steel Non Stick Multipurpose Chef Knife

Reactions: sdkid
I guess I'll throw this out there for anyone that wants to provide their 2 cents worth: what brand and what type of knife should I get to carve smoked briskets. Is this what we are talking about and what you use?
knife.jpg

Reactions: SonnyE and jcam222
I guess I'll throw this out there for anyone that wants to provide their 2 cents worth: what brand and what type of knife should I get to carve smoked briskets. Is this what we are talking about and what you use?
View attachment 381961
I have the Victorinox knife https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Pro...ox-Pro-Granton-Edge-Slicing-Knife/p/5.4723.30 and it has been a very good knife, for brisket and other flat meats slicing. You can't beat the price of this knife for great quality.

You are welcome Humo18. Just so I am clear on some of what I posted. The Chicago Cutlery knives we have are indoor use only. The Old Hickory are for prep/cooking/carving and serving in the great outdoors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky