Best ‘apparatus’ to use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For smoking cheese I use my WSM with the AmazN tray. I switched from pellets to sawdust quite a while ago. Dust gives a cooler, cleaner, liter smoke. Much easier to control the amount of smoke and I can eat the cheese that day. Anything can be used as long as you have good air flow. Some folks use a cardboard box.

Chris
0Jagd6v.jpg
I use my Mini WSM, this is 4# of cheese, so it's possible to get another pound in there. I agree with you 100% that the sawdust generator is a great way to go, and I use one stick as the control sample piece too so I can dial in the smokiness. I generally wait 2 or 3 days before gifting any and it's fine to eat. I just found 2 blocks of Kerrygold Irish cheddar from January, it mellowed out really nice, but most of mine is gone in about a month.

Reactions: gmc2003
View attachment 454417
I use my Mini WSM, this is 4# of cheese, so it's possible to get another pound in there. I agree with you 100% that the sawdust generator is a great way to go, and I use one stick as the control sample piece too so I can dial in the smokiness. I generally wait 2 or 3 days before gifting any and it's fine to eat. I just found 2 blocks of Kerrygold Irish cheddar from January, it mellowed out really nice, but most of mine is gone in about a month.

I bet that Kerrygold is gonna be good. I also have one block(usually cheddar) that serves as the sacrificial lamb - so to speak. After two hours I'll try a slice and proceed from there. If it needs more smoke then I'll give it another hour and try another slice. I don't see any need for over-smoking and playing the waiting game.

Chris

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky