Beef... Whole- Half- Quarter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will Squared

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
I am in a small town in N Calif.
We finally were allowed to get our Farmers Market open Wed.
I spoke with a woman that raises meat locally.
Beef, Lamb, Chicken.
She said she is about to process around 20 chickens. I could get them fresh now or frozen later. She said around $5 per pound.
I didn't ask about the lamb.
She said she raises 5 Beef at a time and I could get on a list.
I think she said a whole was around $5 per pound.
I know a half would be a little more and a quarter would be more still.
Plus the Kill cost... whole, half, or quarter.

What are the rest of you seeing for prices in your areas?
How much meat are you getting from a whole, half, or quarter?

Our town is around 7000 with maybe 60,000 in the outlying areas.
I live on the edge of people... behind me goes up to the mountains.
I have a creek and behind it are fields.
A Rancher just brought around 200 head to graze the fields behind me. The last few sunrises have been concerts of bellowing and occasional bells.
I think the Rancher is a Calver... raising the calves.

I have been here 44 years and remember in the '70's there would be a Cattle Drive down the road every Spring.

I look over there and just see BBQ on the Hoof.

I think when you are dealing with a farm-to-fork producer that works in small batches of animals, the price is dependent on the quality of the meat itself. Maybe ask a few general questions like the age and weight of the steers going to slaughter?, how are they finished and for how long?, and how long is the beef aged?

Steers that are targeted for choice or prime grading are around 30 months old, and are 1000 to 1200 pounds hoof weight. Finishing is a personal choice it could be a mix of grass and grain or all grain. 3 months on grain is popular around here, and some producers use a hot feed toward the end so the steers are gaining 3 pounds per day. Store bought beef is cut and packaged on the slaughter date, but custom butchers will age the beef for say 10 to 14 days. Some will go a little longer if they have space.

Reactions: Will Squared
Thanks Thirdeye and jcam.
You know I think you are right.
They are probably dealing with the Bed&Breakfast/ FarmtoFork crowd.
I am schooling up right now.
We are on a waiting list to get a new freezer before we can stock up more.
Going to shop around.
Need to talk to the Cowboys.

Watching the Sunrise this morning I could tell the bellows of four distinct bulls... off in different draws... calling their cows...

Then a crew of six riders... High School age, two young ladies...
and two younger boys on a 4 wheel Ranch Mule came along and rounded up the herd.

It was a picturesque morning...

Didn't see Rowdy Yates...

Question to you that have followed this thread:

How would you have the Butcher cut a Half Beef?

Considering BBQ, Smoking, and Jerky.

Watching the Sunrise this morning I could tell the bellows of four distinct bulls... off in different draws... calling their cows...

Then a crew of six riders... High School age, two young ladies...
and two younger boys on a 4 wheel Ranch Mule came along and rounded up the herd.

It was a picturesque morning...

Didn't see Rowdy Yates...

Didn't see Rowdy??
I would look close behind the "two young ladies".

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: Will Squared
Question to you that have followed this thread:

How would you have the Butcher cut a Half Beef?

Considering BBQ, Smoking, and Jerky.

You know.... listing how some of us would order a half beef sounds like a great way to help you decide and it will be fun seeing everyone's choices, and why they chose one thing over another. I'm in and will be posting my choices later today.

It all starts with a cut sheet, and one of the best ones I've found can be downloaded HERE. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can download the 3 page pdf file.

For those you that are not that familiar with ordering beef (or pork), HERE is a buyer's guide from the University of Iowa that I recommend to anyone considering a beef or hog purchase. It covers both animals from head to tail, literally. And has photos of all the popular cuts.

Okay, here would be my cutting instructions:
  • 1 shoulder clod roast ~14# range (classic BBQ cut)
  • 3 or 4 bone-in chuck roasts
  • 1 rib roast, boneless cut from the small end
  • Rib steaks, boneless, 5/8" thick, 2/pkg. (my preferred thickness for grilling)
  • T-bone & Porterhouse steaks, 3/4" thick, 2/pkg.
  • Tri-tip roast, untrimmed
  • Sirloin steaks, 3/4" thick, 1/pkg.
  • Eye of round roast
  • Rump roast
  • 2 top round roasts, 3# each. (For jerky consider slicing 1/4" thick, 4#/pkg)
  • 2 bottom round roasts, 3# each.
  • Ground round, coarse "chili grind" in 1# tubes.
  • Brisket, whole. Full cut, large point, 14# minimum.
  • Flank steaks
  • Skirt steaks
  • Shank on bone
  • Stew meat, 3#/pkg., 6 packages.
  • Hamburger in 1# tubes.
  • tongue
  • Oxtail
  • Heart, sliced
  • Dog bones.

My mouth is watering just reading down your list.

Is this a Half or Whole?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky