BEEF! It's what's for supper....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...well steak, anyway. So my wife has to work tonight and I always try to have her supper ready when she gets up. Tonight was pretty basic and easy. I had a ribeye in the freezer and Kroger has top sirloin (not my favorite steak) on sale so I bought a couple to supplement the one ribeye, got family coming over. They also have asparagus on sale so....
A little course salt and fresh cracked pepper on the steaks. Same on the asparagus after a good drizzle of EVOO.
thumbnail (2).jpg

My wife loves sauted onions, peppers, and mushrooms.....
thumbnail (1).jpg

I had some grape tomatoes, and after a recent visit to a restaurant, I cut them in half and put them on top of the asparagus.
thumbnail.jpg

The steaks went on my Weber on some lump charcoal and the asparagus went into a 425℉ oven to roast. Roasting took about 30 minutes. We eat our steak mostly medium rare so they didn't take long. Put some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on the asparagus and put some blue cheese crumbles on the ribeye and under the broiler they went to get a little happy.
thumbnail (17).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

This whole meal is really simple and took maybe an hour to throw together. The fine china again...
thumbnail (5).jpg

Looks like a great meal

looks good, Costco has the sirloin caps fairly cheap here, they look like filet mignon. That is until you cook them hot and fast, they are a little tough. I am going play around with how to tenderize them, maybe 6 or 8 hours of sous vide??? Any thoughts on this?

That is one fantastic looking meal, thanks for sharing. Just curious, how many were you cooking for?

That is one fantastic looking meal, thanks for sharing. Just curious, how many were you cooking for?
Usually have 7 for supper. Our son-in-law always works late and never makes it in time so I make sure that he has a plate for supper and a plate for lunch the next day.

Reactions: Colin1230
That’s a great looking meal. Love blue cheese on steaks at times and the asparagus with tomatoes looks fantastic.
Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, the blue cheese is something that I really like....at times. I was in the mood for it and my wife likes it as well, but I always have to leave some steak without it.

I've roasted tomatoes with asparagus before, but had forgot about them. We went to a restaurant last week had they had them on the menu as a side item so that is what jogged my memory. Drizzled with reduced balsamic vinegar is another good way to serve them.

Last edited:
looks good, Costco has the sirloin caps fairly cheap here, they look like filet mignon. That is until you cook them hot and fast, they are a little tough. I am going play around with how to tenderize them, maybe 6 or 8 hours of sous vide??? Any thoughts on this?
I keep frozen fresh pineapple chucks in the freezer. They have to be fresh not processed. I grate a few chunks into a marinade. It is the best tenderizer there is. You do have to watch how much and time you use. Can turn meat mushy if over do it.

I keep frozen fresh pineapple chucks in the freezer. They have to be fresh not processed. I grate a few chunks into a marinade. It is the best tenderizer there is. You do have to watch how much and time you use. Can turn meat mushy if over do it.
Brian, what kind of time do you do in the marinade?

Brian, what kind of time do you do in the marinade?
I mostly use on tough cuts. My favorite is with Korean flanken ribs though. You have to play around and figure out how you like it best. I only add a few frozen chucks using my fine grater and use a mesh glove as to not grate your fingers. . I usually go a couple hours. This stuff can turn meat into mush depending on how much you use and time.

Reactions: clifish
Thanks, I am glad i asked. I was going to do 24 hours. I am going to use it on sirloin cap steaks about 2.5" thick. Leaner cut but was a little tough off a hot and fast grill.

Looks like a great meal
Thank you. It's so quick and easy to put together, makes a good meal for my wife before she goes to work at the hospital.
Nice meal. It is unbearable I didn't get to join you! Big like!
Thank you and you're always welcome.
Looks really good.
Thank you.
Really good looking meal. You nailed the cook on the steaks.
We like our steaks med-rare to rare, but with a good sear. The ribeye was a little over cooked for our liking, but that was probably due to the broiler after I put the blue cheese on top. I will also sear ribeyes in a cast iron skillet on my fish cooker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky