Bear’s New Christmas Toys (and Smoked Salmon)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the info, dis.
I will be trying a lot of the things you mentioned---Salt, Pepper, cheese cubes, etc.
However I was hoping it would work coupled with my Sous Vide Supreme, but as you can see it wasn't so good smoking first, but I'll be trying it after SV & doing it harder.
We don't drink hard stuff, so the infusing drinks won't help, but I'll keep trying other things.

Whenever I make Ribeyes, I have to grill them, because Mrs Bear doesn't want hers smoked. Nowadays we share a steak, so I figure I'll SV a Ribeye, then cut her portion off, and Smoke mine with the Gun before I sear them both.
That plan sound like a Good plan to you???

Well, Thanks Again,
And Thanks for the Like.
Bear

Bear, I've used the gun many times after cooking ribeyes, and other types of steaks, as well as chops SV. I've tried it both pre-sear and post- sear, and the latter produces better results. For the best results, I slice the meat as I would just prior to serving, hit the slices with for about 10 seconds with the gun, then cover them, and put them in an oven pre-heated to 185F for 5-10 minutes to keep them warm. Works well.

Always remember that the gun was originally designed by PolyScience to be a seasoning/finishing tool, and not as a primary smoke source.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Bear, I've used the gun many times after cooking ribeyes, and other types of steaks, as well as chops SV. I've tried it both pre-sear and post- sear, and the latter produces better results. For the best results, I slice the meat as I would just prior to serving, hit the slices with for about 10 seconds with the gun, then cover them, and put them in an oven pre-heated to 185F for 5-10 minutes to keep them warm. Works well.

Always remember that the gun was originally designed by PolyScience to be a seasoning/finishing tool, and not as a primary smoke source.

OK---Thanks Dis!! Like.
I was steered wrong by my favorite SV guys on YouTube "Sous Vide Everything". The leader did a blind test for two of them:
One Steak was no Smoke, One was Smoked Before SV, and Once was Smoked After SV. They like the smoked ones best, but they couldn't tell the difference between the before & after smoked.
I should have gone by my thoughts on that one, because I thought after would be best, but I did the Before because I didn't want it to get cold while smoking it with the gun, and since they said it didn't matter.
So now I'm smoking After SV, and I'll be trying the 185° for 5 to 10 minutes.

Thanks again Dis,

Bear

Last edited:
You could always vac seal the balls separately in pairs and then when you go to use them you just toss them in with the fish. I believe it would also make the steal ball packs dishwasher washable for an easier clean up :)

I thought about that, but it's easier to wash the steel balls, and it's less inside the bags to get in between the Meat & the bag. I like the meat against the inside of the bag & the Hot water against the outside, with no air or extra plastic between them.

Bear

Yep, pretty hard to float a ball bearing. :)
Ball Bearing Salmon. Makes me think of torpedo juice.

I was going to add you needed Todd's wood for a proper smoke.
I ran across these smoke guns a while back. Never tried one, and you are the first I've seen to try it.
I recon it's one of those "Looked good on Paper" things.
But for real smokers, it's hard to satisfy that real deal we are use to.
I wouldn't give up yet though.

Hook up a Mailbox modification to it... :confused: :D

LOL---Yeah these Ball Bearings don't float worth a darn!!
I'm just going to have to limit what I use this Smoking Gun for & how I use it.
My Mailbox will always stay where it belongs---Out by the road, across from my Driveway.:D

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
LOL---Yeah these Ball Bearing don't float worth a darn!!
I'm just going to have to limit what I use this Smoking Gun for & how I use it.
My Mailbox will always stay where it belongs---Out by the road, across from my Driveway.:D

Bear

And.... I'd bet those ball bearings are dishwasher safe!

The Mailbox was a thought about how to get a longer smoke out of the little feller.
I even looked for a picture of a toy mailbox to post...

My mailbox will stay where it is, too. Unless I jackhammer it out of the brick pillon it's built into.

I was going to mention cocktails, my son is a bartender and he has created some really interesting drinks with a smoke gun. You can also do smoked ice cubes with it.

I don't do SV, but the ball bearings sure seam like a slick ideal to me!

The Ball Bearings work Awesome!!!

However the closest thing to cocktails for me has always been Beer.

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE
I'm pretty sure Mr. T uses a device similar to yours. Seems happy with it. Maybe just a learning curve to it.
Gary

Thanks Gary!
I'll figure it out. Gotta separate the good from the bad on YouTube.
Plus 'Dis" gave me some good tips.

Bear

Awesome lookin salmon Bear, I'm liking those stainless steel balls for the SV! Be watching future cooks to see how you like the smoking gun after some more use... looks interesting. I've seen them, but have no experience with one. Again, tasty lookin meal!

Awesome lookin salmon Bear, I'm liking those stainless steel balls for the SV! Be watching future cooks to see how you like the smoking gun after some more use... looks interesting. I've seen them, but have no experience with one. Again, tasty lookin meal!

Thank You Justin!!
Might be awhile---I got too many toys---They have to get in line!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky