Bear’s New Christmas Toys (and Smoked Salmon)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Bear’s New Christmas Toys (and Smoked Salmon)

So Bear Jr got me a couple new Toys for Christmas, and I finally got around to trying them:

The first is “The Smoking Gun”, by Breville, and a whole bunch of their wood chips.
As you’ll see below, I gave it a try, and I gotta try some more, because the first try was somewhat of a “Flop”.
I read everything, and watched a bunch of YouTubes before I tried it.
Then I patted 5 small Salmon fillet pieces dry, and put them on a wire cooling rack in a foil pan (so smoke could get underneath the pieces too).
Then I covered the Pan with Saran Wrap, filled the Gun with Hickory Chips, stuck the end of the hose in the pan, and fired it up.
I filled the pan with as much smoke as it would take, and shut it off.
Then when the smoke cleared somewhat, I lit it again. I did this again & again, much more than the YouTube Videos did.
I started thinking maybe that’s too much, so I stopped.

Then I put the pieces in two Vac Bags & sealed them up, along with some of my other Christmas Presents—Stainless Steel Balls.
Bear Jr got me a bunch of Stainless Steel Balls to put in the bags to weigh the packages down, so they don’t float up out of the water.
They worked Great !!
I had tried a Butter knife a couple months ago, and it slid down the package & poked a hole in it.
So I was talking to Bear Jr about it back then, but I forgot all about it until Christmas, and he remembered & got me some @ 3/4” and some @ 1/2”.

So back to the Salmon:
I put the Salmon in my Sous Vide Supreme @ 140° for 1 hour, which worked Great the last time.
Then I patted them Dry, and Seared the Skin side in my Fry Pan.

I gotta say these were real good, but very close to ZERO Smoke flavor.

NOTE: As of Today, I am not Recommending the Smoking Gun, but the Stainless Steel Balls Work Awesome!!

Next time I try this Smoking Gun on something, I’m gonna have to hammer it a lot more than I did this time!! I'll also try Smoking after SV, instead of before SV.

Thanks For Stopping By,
Bear

My New Christmas Toy (from Bear Jr.):
IMG_1766.jpg

Inside the Box:
IMG_1767.jpg

More Presents from Bear Jr.---Stainless Steel Balls to weigh down my SV bags:
IMG_1768.jpg

Salmon Pieces:
IMG_1770.jpg

Skin Side Pics:
IMG_1771.jpg

Pieces on wire rack, in pan, and covered for smoking:
IMG_1773.jpg

Outside, pumping smoke into the pan:
IMG_1777.jpg

Salmon Vacuum Sealed with SS Balls:
IMG_1779.jpg

Searing the Skin side in a Pan:
IMG_1781.jpg

Add some Curly Fries, and it's time to eat:
IMG_1782.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting and good looking fish!

I bet the issue was that you weren't using medical grade wood chips with that fancy bong... I mean smoke device :P

Reactions: SonnyE
Cool toys, I have heard of the smoke guns but have never seen one around. I believe Mr T. had one at one time was explaining it, But I still have yet to see one around here.

Going high tech. on us. That smoking gun looks interesting, and I'm sure you'll have it figured out in no time. BTW the salmon looks real good.

Chris

Looks good Buddy Must have been a Male Salmon :D
I had seen those before but didn't know anyone who had one , Now I do

Love that Salmon Great Job

Gary

Bear, you have to love toys to experiment with,they both look like great additions to your smoking arsenal!

Interesting and good looking fish!
I bet the issue was that you weren't using medical grade wood chips with that fancy bong... I mean smoke device :p

Thanks Tall !!
LOL---At my age I barely know what that is, but I never got into any of that. Pure Country Boy here.

Bear

Not sure about the Smoking Gun. The SS balls for the sous vide is something I'm going to try though.

I gotta be more careful though. I heated a piece up the next day, and I didn't notice there was a Steel ball that worked it's way into the fish. My Nuke didn't act up, but I sure hope I didn't hurt it. $600 Unit.

Bear

Cool toys, I have heard of the smoke guns but have never seen one around. I believe Mr T. had one at one time was explaining it, But I still have yet to see one around here.

Thank You AB !!
I gotta work on that---I did more to get smoke than the YouTube Videos, but I couldn't taste the smoke.
Maybe I'm too used to Smoke from an AMNPS??
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Going high tech. on us. That smoking gun looks interesting, and I'm sure you'll have it figured out in no time. BTW the salmon looks real good.

Chris

Thanks Chris!!
I'm thinking I gotta try the Smoking Last, instead of before the SV.

Bear

I gotta be more careful though. I heated a piece up the next day, and I didn't notice there was a Steel ball that worked it's way into the fish. My Nuke didn't act up, but I sure hope I didn't hurt it. $600 Unit.

Bear

You could always vac seal the balls separately in pairs and then when you go to use them you just toss them in with the fish. I believe it would also make the steal ball packs dishwasher washable for an easier clean up :)

Looks good Buddy Must have been a Male Salmon :D
I had seen those before but didn't know anyone who had one , Now I do
Love that Salmon Great Job

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I'm thinking I gotta try the Smoking Last, instead of before the SV.
Bear

That's a good start.

I've had "The Smoking Gun" for around 6 years and have found it a very handy tool in certain circumstances. Many new users are initially disappointed as they may have a misunderstanding or preconceived opinion as to what the gun can do, or not do. The hurdle to come to an understanding what the gun was developed for and it's intended use, as well as it's limitations. One thing it is definitely not is as a replacement for any type of traditional smoker.

I look at it as a seasoning or finishing device to infuse a moderate amount of smoke on what ever it's being applied to as a compliment to that items flavor, and not a dominant amount that overwhelms the final product. Once you come to that understanding, it's uses are almost limitless. For example, a couple weeks ago I decided to make a pot of pasta e fagioli, the Italian pasta and bean soup with a few additional vegetables and seasonings. Traditionally, the soup is made without any meat but I decided to add some diced pancetta I had left over from another meal, around 1 1/2 cups. I fried the pancetta a few minutes to crisp it a bit then hit it with the gun 3 or 4 times over a 45 minute period while the soup was simmering. When the soup was finished, I added the pancetta, stirred, and served. The final result was excellent with just a subtle hint of smoke in the background.

I've used the gun on more things that I can remember, more often than not on the spur of the moment. Nuts, cheese (small cubes), salt, softened butter, sauces, soups, chili, etc.

A restaurant I have an interest in has developed a very strong craft cocktail program over the past couple years, and I lent the bar manager the gun to infuse certain drinks and dark spirits such as bourbon, rye, and scotch. They were using it so much that I just donated it to them and purchased "The Smoking Gun Pro" 3 months ago. Essentially the same tool but with an all aluminum barrel, a slightly larger base, and an adjustable smoke flow.

BTW, my preferred smoke is with the Pitmaster Blend from Todd.

Good luck. You'll figure it out.

Last edited:
That's a good start.

I've had "The Smoking Gun" for around 6 years and have found it a very handy tool in certain circumstances. Many new users are initially disappointed as they may have a misunderstanding or preconceived opinion as to what the gun can do, or not do. The hurdle to come to an understanding what the gun was developed for and it's intended use, as well as it's limitations. One thing it is definitely not is as a replacement for any type of traditional smoker.

I look at it as a seasoning or finishing device to infuse a moderate amount of smoke on what ever it's being applied to as a compliment to that items flavor, and not a dominant amount that overwhelms the final product. Once you come to that understanding, it's uses are almost limitless. For example, a couple weeks ago I decided to make a pot of pasta e fagioli, the Italian pasta and bean soup with a few additional vegetables and seasonings. Traditionally, the soup is made without any meat but I decided to add some diced pancetta I had left over from another meal, around 1 1/2 cups. I fried the pancetta a few minutes to crisp it a bit then hit it with the gun 3 or 4 times over a 45 minute period while the soup was simmering. When the soup was finished, I added the pancetta, stirred, and served. The final result was excellent with just a subtle hint of smoke in the background.

I've used the gun on more things that I can remember, more often than not on the spur of the moment. Nuts, cheese (small cubes), salt, softened butter, sauces, soups, chili, etc.

A restaurant I have an interest in has developed a very strong craft cocktail over the past couple years, and I lent the bar manager the gun to infuse certain drinks and dark spirits such as bourbon, rye, and scotch. They were using it so much that I just donated it to them and purchased "The Smoking Gun Pro" 3 months ago. Essentially the same tool but with an all aluminum barrel, a slightly larger base, and an adjustable smoke flow.

BTW, my preferred smoke is with the Pitmaster Blend from Todd.

Good luck. You'll figure it out.

Thanks for the info, dis.
I will be trying a lot of the things you mentioned---Salt, Pepper, cheese cubes, etc.
However I was hoping it would work coupled with my Sous Vide Supreme, but as you can see it wasn't so good smoking first, but I'll be trying it after SV & doing it harder.
We don't drink hard stuff, so the infusing drinks won't help, but I'll keep trying other things.

Whenever I make Ribeyes, I have to grill them, because Mrs Bear doesn't want hers smoked. Nowadays we share a steak, so I figure I'll SV a Ribeye, then cut her portion off, and Smoke mine with the Gun before I sear them both.
That plan sound like a Good plan to you???

Well, Thanks Again,
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
I was going to mention cocktails, my son is a bartender and he has created some really interesting drinks with a smoke gun. You can also do smoked ice cubes with it.

I don't do SV, but the ball bearings sure seam like a slick ideal to me!

Yep, pretty hard to float a ball bearing. :)
Ball Bearing Salmon. Makes me think of torpedo juice.

I was going to add you needed Todd's wood for a proper smoke.
I ran across these smoke guns a while back. Never tried one, and you are the first I've seen to try it.
I recon it's one of those "Looked good on Paper" things.
But for real smokers, it's hard to satisfy that real deal we are use to.
I wouldn't give up yet though.

Hook up a Mailbox modification to it... :confused: :D

What was your average weight needed to sink the bags? I have some SS ball that I haven't used. I just use a binder clip and a serving spoon.

I never weighed anything, but I like the weight of the 3/4" SS balls best.
I had been laying big spoons on the pkgs, but they often slid off, and I don't like to put clips on the meat, so that just leaves small edges to clip to.

Bear

Bear, you have to love toys to experiment with,they both look like great additions to your smoking arsenal!

Yup---Another challenge to try to master.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky