BD's Pre Holiday Smoked Turkey. A Foamheart Request

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey BDSKELLY!

I'm new to the forum. Just posted in the roll call.I was wanting to use your recipe but had one question, do you put butter under the skin of the turkey legs as well?

Hey BDSKELLY!

I'm new to the forum. Just posted in the roll call.I was wanting to use your recipe but had one question, do you put butter under the skin of the turkey legs as well?
Good morning Jr.

WELCOME to the forum.  We are happy you are here!.

I put the butter only under the breast skin.  The dark meat areas will stay moist without it.  I do inject the entire bird including white and dark meat areas.

Remember to take the IT at the breast to 165. Then pull the bird and let it rest a bit before you carve.  Good luck! b

My turkey also turned out more brown than golden, but just like you said, it still turned out amazing.

We'll done, points.

Chad
You'll get the color.  It just takes practice. AND when you practice  you'll get to eat more turkey!  Win Win! b 

Thanks for the points guys. Everybody was saying how moist and flavorful the bird was. Thanks again for the recipe. Will definitely make this my go to from here on out.

Best I've seen yet. I plan on smoking a 13 pound bird tomorrow, with a twist . I going to place a fat ham over the bird to drip as I smoke. Wish me luck 
Best of luck to you Zac! 

First bump of 2017.... inused my MES 40 to smoke 2-14lb Turkeys. Barely fit side by side on one rack, but it did it. I started at 250 hit the 140 mark in about 2.5 hrs. Lowered to 230 after 4.5hrs and finished right at the 6 hr mark with an IT of 165 in the breast. I used the MES temp probe in one and an external in the other... both hit 165 in the breasts at the same time, which makes me feel comfortable using the MES temp probe...

First time using citrus and apples in the cavity... look at these pretty birds!!!

Attachments

• 127D9248-3A72-426B-8558-FE21DC291CA8.jpeg
    127D9248-3A72-426B-8558-FE21DC291CA8.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 0D7EEDEC-9519-45A3-94E7-3A34C2A61600.jpeg
    0D7EEDEC-9519-45A3-94E7-3A34C2A61600.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 37
  • A6195786-286C-4E88-8845-E17386924C26.jpeg
    A6195786-286C-4E88-8845-E17386924C26.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 38F6B736-8059-44B6-9EAB-3D24CFD207C0.jpeg
    38F6B736-8059-44B6-9EAB-3D24CFD207C0.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: bdskelly
Beautiful birds my friend. Thanks for the bump. There will be lots of turkey question posted over the next few week! B

Reactions: Ike70
There will be lots of turkey question posted over the next few week! B

Hey bdskelly, thanks for the recipe idea. I'm going to try my first whole bird for the family this year and plan on using it with my MES. I even ordered the BBQ bird booster. Hopefully it all works out - fingers crossed!

After doing some reading here I'm a bit concerned about the turkey I bought though. I didn't know I needed to get one that wasn't enhanced. (Not sure they even had any). It's a Butterball "fresh" with up to 4% solution . Should I modify your method at all with this turkey?

I'll cook around 230-235, I figure about 30-ish minutes per lb? (13lb turkey) So with that in mind do I apply smoke for about 3-4 hours?

I'm still using wood chips with my MES and have several choices available, what kind would you recommend?

I've also heard that if I leave the turkey in the refrigerator uncovered I will get better skin - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, sorry for all of the questions. I'm having a great time smoking and I'm constantly learning.

-

Last edited:
After doing some reading here I'm a bit concerned about the turkey I bought though. I didn't know I needed to get one that wasn't enhanced. (Not sure they even had any). It's a Butterball "fresh" with up to 4% solution . Should I modify your method at all with this turkey?

I'll cook around 230-235, I figure about 30-ish minutes per lb? (13lb turkey) So with that in mind do I apply smoke for about 3-4 hours?

I'm still using wood chips with my MES and have several choices available, what kind would you recommend?

I've also heard that if I leave the turkey in the refrigerator uncovered I will get better skin - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, sorry for all of the questions. I'm having a great time smoking and I'm constantly learning.

-[/QUOTE]
That butterball will work just fine for this method.
3 hours in smoke will be about right. If you can get apple chip give those a try.
Some do allow the turkey to dry out a bit in the refrigerator to get the skin tacky. The thought here is that the smoke adheres better. I do this for Brisket but not turkey.
Enjoy the smoke. Post your photos please. Brian

I will be smoking a 22 lb. Butterball Fresh Turkey for Thanksgiving in my MES 30. Your instructions have been very informative to me and I thank you for doing them. I will be brining for 24 hours and air drying for 24 hours before the smoke. I am using Fire & Flavor Apple Sage Turkey Brine Kit. I will be stuffing with the fruit you recommended and seasoning with poultry seasoning and pepper. I've decided to smoke at 235 and use apple & cherry wood chips. (I've heard Hickory is a little to much for turkey). I plan on the smoke to last 10 hours so I will start very early. I will post pictures and comments when it is all said and done. Again I thank you for taking the time to post this! Wish me luck!

Also I did have a question... Because I will be brining, the 22 lb. turkey will gain up to 20% weight, do I figure that in for cooking time?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky