BBQ Wiki

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indyadmin1974

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 26, 2007
Clemmons
This is more of a question for the mods. When doing some dorking around at work today I was on wikipedia and looked up smoking.

At the very bottom of the article it mentions the Smoking Meat Encyclopedia with a link to Jeff's site.

While I love Jeff's site and this forum, I'm wondering if anyone (other than me) has thought of putting together a BBQ Wiki (the domain name is taken...darnit!)

I would love to help on this knowing how much work it would be, but maybe it's already been done.

The forum is a great resource, but I wonder how much easier it would be for newbies (like myself) to search a wiki for ABTs or TBS and get an agreed upon definition of what this stuff is.

Articles such as the how-to's, recipes, etc could be included also. Just a thought and yes I'm volunteering my time.

BTW, it's great to be back!

I think that this forum should work just fine and the people here are nicer and know alot and it all here at your finger tips. I vote for this forum.

Not a bad idea but to get all of these resources in a wiki would be a huge undertaking. Ill think about it.

mballi I am not advocating abandoning the forum at all. I'm an IT nerd and wikis work for me where forums do not. Forums, IMHO, are scattered by nature and unless you use them everyday, you're probably not going to be able to find a quick answer to your question without reading through loads of posts.

Even stickys in forums don't get to the heart of a particular topic.

I think besides being a IT nerd, I'm slightly OCD.

It's all a matter of perspective and I certainly do not mean to berate this forum at all. It has taught me quite a bit.

@Brian...I think it would be a huge undertaking which is why I volunteer my time. It's up to you and the other mods.

This is what I'm talking about...something concise and all in one spot. Bringing it up to wiki standards where a search will pull up what we want would be more than enough.

Are you talking something where we'd reduce the discussion and q-view types of stuff, with a focus on recipes and things like what woods pair with what food? I can see that because sometimes, while I enjoy the discussions, it makes searches kind of complicated at times.

This would be a supplement to SMF, not a replacement. Personally I think that the forum has all the information we need to create a great wiki, it's just a matter of doing some hard work and putting it together into a 'standard' format.

The Qview and discussions regarding it would have to continue...that's what helps folks out.

Oh, by no means should the qview and discussion go away. I was on the same lines you are with the supplement approach, with categories set up for quick reference when you're in a hurry (which it seems like we all are these days).

I've been working on a wiki on a fishing forum that I help Moderate and it's a nice addition to that site... makes the whole site come together and for new members it's a great quick resource to gain info fast and gets them in to the discussion knowing more and giving them a sense of confidence to ask more questions.
just my 2 cents.....

I really love the site and the way it is laid out. I can see the OP's point many people come here and get overwhelmed with the amount of information that is available because they don't know to check the sticky's for the basics or there isn't a sticky for the basics of what they want.

But if my wife slapped a chuckie down on the table and told me to smoke it, I could just click on beef then choose the cut of meat and have a quick tried and true beginners guide to smoking it. Then at the bottom it'd link me to the beef forum to look for more people's ways of doing it.

I am not a ninja with words but basically what I would like to see would be something like this for every common cut of smoking meat:
http://smokingmeatforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=57139

It would not make the site any less appealing to people, in fact it might draw more people in to it's clutches once they get a basic smoke done they'll be coming back to learn how everyone else tweaks their smokes to make them even better.

I agree rhankinsjr. I think meowys post is a perfect example of what would be beneficial for newbies. While some spots have stickies like this, others don't. That would be the benefit of the wiki...put it all in one spot and make it searchable...and wikis aren't set in stone...the mods can make it editable by anyone with their approval.

For me there is a selfish reason for wanting to help with this...I figure the more I look for on this site to put a wiki together, the more I'm going to learn and be of better help to newer members. Plus the nerd in me just wants to jump in and play with the software and make it work so people get good use out of it.

BBQwiki.net

BBqwiki.info

are both available...

I have some empty web hosting spaces where this could have it's start if need be...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky