BBQ Pit Masters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grinder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Central NY
Just re-watched  the first season on netflix, I had kind of forgotten about the show. Did they ever make a second season?

[h1] [/h1][h1]From their webpage:[/h1][h1] [/h1][h1]Hot Off the Grill — BBQ Pitmaster Heats Up Thursdays![/h1]
All-new season with BBQ's biggest prize ever: $100,000.

bbq-pitmasters-about-175(new).jpg

A hot new season of BBQ Pitmasters  is cooked up and ready to be served starting August 12 at 10 PM. TLC has reimagined the series and created its own competition, designed to find the country's best BBQ cook and this year's BBQ Pitmaster. The first five of the series' six episodes feature different competitions, each one selecting a winning team that moves to the grand finale. Those five teams compete head to head, and only one can walk away with the largest prize ever awarded in competitive barbecue: $100,000.

BBQ Pitmasters  features an all-star panel of judges: celebrity chef Art Smith, BBQ champion Myron Mixon, and Superbowl winner Warren Sapp, and is hosted by chef Kevin Roberts. Each episode brings together four BBQ teams to face off in a series of challenges that reveal who has the best mastery of meat — but with a twist. While the main challenge focuses on a popular protein — from ribs to brisket — the contestants will also face a "Pit Fire Challenge," cooking a more exotic meat (alligator, rattlesnake, etc.) that will truly test their culinary skills. And the stakes are high — the team with the worst Pit Fire dish is sent home on the spot.

This isn't a competition for the casual cook. From being over the pit non-stop for over 10 hours, to facing unexpected challenges, these aspiring Pitmasters all have the goal of satisfying the picky palates of the judging panel and taking home the $100,000 prize. It's the biggest competition of their lives in the all-new season of BBQ Pitmasters.

Well looks like I will not be watching it. Why on earth would they use an arrogant self centered judge like Miron. Nothing anyone cooks will be to his standards in my own opnion. Just look at the way he is at comps when he don't place

Well looks like I will not be watching it. Why on earth would they use an arrogant self centered judge like Miron. Nothing anyone cooks will be to his standards in my own opnion. Just look at the way he is at comps when he don't place

Same judges they have had for a while 

Hmmm! And here I thought I was the only one that thought Myron Mixon had an attitude.
laugh1.gif

Just re-watched  the first season on netflix, I had kind of forgotten about the show. Did they ever make a second season?
What you watched was the second season. The first season followed half a dozen competition cookers, including Myron Mixon, and filmed them on the circuit.

I liked the 1st season better, personally.  I enjoyed watching the teams go to different competitions and show off their skills.  I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how the bbq competitions work and all of the fare that goes into them.  Once they switched to the newer format, I kinda lost interest.

Hey Pops

I looked at their website and I am willing to bet the info on their site is for 2011.  It is the exact same thing as last year and there where no dates in the article

I'm over these "reality" shows. This one in particular is just boring and completely unrepresentative of reality. The little curve balls they throw into every show just to eliminate people are pointless and take away from the central theme of bbq competition. The judges rely WAY to much on their own personal taste in the judging, especially Warren Sapp. Plus, Miron Mixon injects too much of his holier than thou BBQ God attitude into his judging. I had high hopes for this one, but it's just another contrived reality competition show that they can churn out on a budget and fill time with. Remember when cooking shows were actually about cooking?

I maybe in the minority on this one but I found this season entertaining.  Was it as good as season 1 no was it a good watch yes.  I took it for what it was and watched it just fine.

I don't really care much for BBQ Pitmasters. After the first season, it's pretty boring. My favorite episode in, I think the third season, was when Kyle from The Slabs shot Mixxon the bird. That was hilarious. There hasn't been any love loss between them for years.

From what I understand, the first season follow teams around the circuit (I liked this idea). The second was small specialized competitions with Myron and a few other Judges (eh not so good). There will be no third season.

No,  the one I saw was  Myron, Johnny Trigg, Lee Ann Whippen and others going from competition to competition. I did catch one episode with Warren Sapp, didn't realize it was even the same show. No wonder they're not doing a third season. Found the first season pretty interesting, minus the reality show drama crap.

What you watched was the second season. The first season followed half a dozen competition cookers, including Myron Mixon, and filmed them on the circuit.

No,  the one I saw was  Myron, Johnny Trigg, Lee Ann Whippen and others going from competition to competition. I did catch one episode with Warren Sapp, didn't realize it was even the same show. No wonder they're not doing a third season. Found the first season pretty interesting, minus the reality show drama crap.

Sorry about that, I mistakenly looked at the posts that followed yours and assumed they knew what you were talking about. My apologies.

The first season was them going to different competitions.  The second was with Myron, Sapp and the other guy as judges (it was horrible).  No more third season as per Sapp on his twitter.

That is really a shame that there will be no more...Season 2 was lame but I thought Season 1 was interesting and I even learned a few things...JJ

The first season was much better. I really enjoyed seeing the different places & events, and watching how hard those guys work. When I'm smoking, I'm usually standing in the yard with a beer, BSing with the fellas, It's really impressive to see hard these guys go at it.

I loved the first season where they followed Mixon, Trigg, etc. around on the BBQ circuit and got the see some of the behind the scenes looks but the second seasons format was horrible in my opinion and I couldn't stand to watch it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky