BBQ Accessories

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gooose53

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 17, 2007
Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what your opinion might be:

Attachment 5310
b6df7dfb_vbattach14821.jpg

this is from wikipedia

Many types of fuel can be used in a smoker as long as it is natural and not contaminated with harmful substances. These fuels include hessian, pine needles, corrugated cardboard, and rotten or punky wood. Some beekeeping supply sources also sell commercial fuels like pulped paper and compressed cotton, or even aerosol cans of smoke.

Wd

I think I seen that on E-Bay, isn't that the one that you use pellets in it. I belive that's used for cold smoking.

Its basically an 2 inch piece of pipe with some caps on either end. You fill it with chips and cover the top. Then using a blow torch you light the bottom then screw the cap on the bottom. Then using a small air pump or in this case an aquarium pump you keep the fire going with the pump to produce "cold" smoke. Quite a neat design and I plan on making one myself.

DarrinG

Thanks DarrinG and Michael, that's exactly what it is. I didn't know it was only (?) for cold smoking though. I'm always on the hunt for interesting gadgets to use and was hoping for feedback on it's use. I bought and use the Smokenator for my weber kettle and it works great....I wonder what kind of comments would have been made about that.......

I think you can also use it for hot smoking, you just use it for the smoke and use ...say your grill for the heat and just pump in the smoke from the side or some other opening. I almost bought the one from e-bay for my grill for quick smoke flovor. I still may get one for cheese and things like that. Does it work?

Michael, That's why I brought this to the forum so that I could get some opinions about its suitabily. I looks neat and looks like it could put some good smoke out....but does it work like it says? I wondered the same thing about the Smokenator but found it did everything the seller said it would do and am very happy I bought it for my kettle. I'm hoping others will chime in if they have used it or know someone who has.

Well I went and built my own cold smoker add on.
Its comprised of:

1-2"x10" nipple
2-2" end caps.
1-1/4"x4" nipple
1-1/4xclose nipple
1-1/4" Gate value
1-1/4" air connector
3-1/4x20 Grub/set screws
1-small piece of 3/16 grating.

So what I did its pretty obvious. But for those of you that want step by step instructions here it is. First I drilled and tapped a hole in one end cap to fit the 1/4xclose nipple. I then connected the nipple to the value and the air connector and then the whole bit to the end cap. Then I measured 2 inches up and marked 3 spots for my set screws, drilled and tapped those. Then I measued up 4 inches and drilled and tapped that hole for my 1/4x4 nipple.

Once that was done I grabbed some tin snips and went to town cutting out my little grate to fit inside the pipe. Once it fit I screwed in my set screws so the grate had a place to sit. Found a place to mount the pipe so I could test out my project, filled the nipple up with chips and lit. Once it started to smoke real good and I could see a bit of glowing in the bottom I connected my valve to the air compressor and cracked the valve until I could hear the air and screwed the cap onto the pipe. When I connected everything, smoke just started to billow so I screwed the top cap on and I started my stop watch. So far so good and I've been running it since 2:45.

I've got $15 and about and hour invested.

DarrinG

Hey Darrin thanks alot, I think I'll make one also now that you did all the hard work. The only problem I can see with that is if a cop see's that in my garage, I'm sure the ATF will be banging on my door, along with the bomb squad.

Well the first run lasted about 1.5 hours on just chips. I've started the second with some small chunks & chips. I had it running but it formed a bridge and went out. I've started again and I'm going to see how long it goes now.

With just chips I used 3.5 cups.

DarrinG

Well chunks don't work! No matter what kind of psi I ran it at. Once it burned up the chips around it, it wasn't enough to keep the chunk going. But on a good note that when I opened up the pipe there was nothing left inside. All burned up so I won't have to unhook the unit to refill it and I won't have to clean it either!

DarrinG

DarrinG,
Not bad work! How much air do you figure is going though?

Not that much depending on what you mean. Its not that many PSI but as for CFM I wouldn't have a clue. Its kind of like when your starting a campfire and you blow on it to start but you keep blowing for over an hour. LOL.
icon_eek.gif

I've got a 20 Gallon air compressor and it runs only a couple times in an hour. But the 2 gallon I have runs quite a bit while hooked up.

DarrinG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky