bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
We're killing two hogs this weekend. Thinking about keeping some bacon/pork belly. Do you cold smoke bacon? We've always just kept chops, tenderloin, and ground the rest for sausage.

Hello Newsmokerky,

I would go for a long cold smoke at around 100F for probably a good 5 hours. Smoke with Hickory, Maple, Apple, cherry are all good on bacon. I have heard Pecan is pretty good as well.

Use a meat probe or an instant read thermometer. Smoke it until you love the colour. Then increase you heat a bit every hour up to 180-200 and pull your bacon off when you hit an IT of 140-150*F.

Best of luck to you. Hope it all works out great and you will never go back to store bought bacon again!

Lots of other posts on here with more detailed instructions if you need them.

Regards,

MJ

Hmmm. I don't have the equipment to cold smoke for now. I've got the new Smokin It II, but don't have any cold smoke accessories. Can the bacon/belly be frozen, then smoked later?

Hmmmm. I'm thinking I'm gonna keep some of it and freeze it. Keep 12"X12" blocks or so? Is there any reason bacon HAS to be sliced in uniform slices? I do not have a slicer. Will have to free hand it after smoking.

Read up on all the great recipes here. Belly Bacon needs to be cured. You add Cure #1 based on the belly weight or in a curing brine. See Pops Brine. Let it cure 7 days per inch. There is lots of info on the subject.
Chops and Tenderloins? The upper shoulder, the Boston Butt makes great Pulled Pork, as does the lower leg called the Picnic Shoulder. Making cured Ham is easy. Again, check out Pop's recipe and procedure. How about the Side Spare Ribs and the Baby Back Ribs? You don't grind up all these great cuts of Pork, do you? With all that ground pork, do you make Sausage at least?...JJ

Read up on all the great recipes here. Belly Bacon needs to be cured. You add Cure #1 based on the belly weight or in a curing brine. See Pops Brine. Let it cure 7 days per inch. There is lots of info on the subject.
Chops and Tenderloins? The upper shoulder, the Boston Butt makes great Pulled Pork, as does the lower leg called the Picnic Shoulder. Making cured Ham is easy. Again, check out Pop's recipe and procedure. How about the Side Spare Ribs and the Baby Back Ribs? You don't grind up all these great cuts of Pork, do you? With all that ground pork, do you make Sausage at least?...JJ
Yes, we make sausage, and it's tremendous sausage. I forgot to add, we keep the ribs too. As for the rest, it's so cheap to purchase on sale, we don't mess with it. We do keep all the rib cuts. I was amiss there....

If you are going to freeze for later use, and are able to, vaccum seal your chunks of belly. If you don’t have a vaccum sealer you can place your slabs in a big plastic zipper freezer bag and sink it in a sink full of water until just the zipper on the bag is out of the water and do the zipper up. This will remove all the air from the bag and helps prevent freezer burn.

As Preacher Man Preacher Man said, the Amazen

Yes, we make sausage, and it's tremendous sausage. I forgot to add, we keep the ribs too. As for the rest, it's so cheap to purchase on sale, we don't mess with it. We do keep all the rib cuts. I was amiss there....
Kroger regularly runs butts on sale for as little as $1.59 a lb. Sometimes cheaper at Aldi. W
If you are going to freeze for later use, and are able to, vaccum seal your chunks of belly. If you don’t have a vaccum sealer you can place your slabs in a big plastic zipper freezer bag and sink it in a sink full of water until just the zipper on the bag is out of the water and do the zipper up. This will remove all the air from the bag and helps prevent freezer burn.

As Preacher Man Preacher Man said, the Amazen
Yes, we have a great vacuum sealer. Commercial grade.

OK, I've got some nice 12" x 12" or so slabs of belly from the pigs we killed this weekend. I've got one slab in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. I'd like to try to make some applewood smoked bacon. Does it need to be cured prior to smoking? Cold smoke? All tips/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OK, I've got some nice 12" x 12" or so slabs of belly from the pigs we killed this weekend. I've got one slab in the fridge, the rest in the freezer. I'd like to try to make some applewood smoked bacon. Does it need to be cured prior to smoking? Cold smoke? All tips/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, porkbelly for bacon must be cured before smoking.
Check out daveomak, pops6927, and disco for recipes, methods, etc.

Message_1549505490075.jpg
Cold smoking is just cold smoking.. .smoke temperature never goes above 40F and air drying temp never goes above 60F and humidity 65 - 85%...everything else is heat treated bacon... either cold smoke it and air dry for 60 days for up to 1year shelf storage or you heat tread it and freeze... there is huge difference between cold smoke treatment and 140 plus F Smoking...

Last edited:
I think you'd be better off hot smoking that bacon unless you have the proper set up like what dernektambura has pictured above.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky