Bacon Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Well, I finally got around to posting this. Took a while.

October weather turned out to be perfect for cold smoking, so I decided to pull a pork belly out of the freezer to thaw. It was time to make bacon.

Since I’ve always had great luck with it, I cured the bacon according to the great Bearcarver Bearcarver method. After adding the proper amount of Tender Quick, brown sugar, and garlic powder to each section of belly, I put each in a gallon ziplock (taking care to add in any of the cure mix that had fallen off) and sealed the bags, leaving enough air in to allow the juices to move about easily.

I massaged each bag daily and returned them to the fridge, after turning them over. I continued this process for 14 days. Then life happened, and nothing got done with the cured bellies for about a week and a half.

When life returned to normal, I took all four pieces of cured belly out of the fridge, rinsed, and did 2 one hour soaks in ice water. After rinsing and patting dry, I returned the pieces (uncovered) to the fridge for two days.

Finally, it was time to smoke. The meat was removed from the fridge, put on two racks, and left at room temperature while I preheated the MES and nuked and lit some Hickory pellets in the AMNPS.

20201008_093508_edited.jpg

It was a beautiful day, with the thermometer sitting at a steady 40F.

20201008_093644_edited.jpg

When the PID was sitting at a steady 65F and the pellets were smoking nicely, the meat went into the smoker.

20201008_093443.jpg

20201008_093413_edited.jpg

Lots of nice TBS
20201008_093744.jpg

I smoked the bacon for 9 hours, and returned it (uncovered) to the fridge.

20201019_123226_edited_edited.jpg

Day 2 was a perfect copy of day 1, and I smoked the bacon for another 9 hours. So 18 hours total smoke time.

20201019_123253_edited_edited.jpg

The bacon was returned to the fridge, where I let it sit uncovered for 2 days.

Just as a side note, my step-daughter and grandson came up for a visit a week later, and told me I had the best smelling fridge in the world. LOL

After letting it sit for 2 days, I dug out my meat slicer and sliced up the bacon about ¼” thick. Two of the pieces were nice and meaty, but the other 2 not so much. You can easily see the difference in the sliced bacon. I vac sealed all the bacon and then it was into the freezer.

20201019_130741_edited_edited.jpg

The bad news was the high fat to meat ratio in half of the belly pieces. The good news is I ended up with lots of bacon in the freezer—even after giving away a bunch of it.

20201019_130812_edited_edited.jpg
20201019_130831_edited_edited.jpg

Sorry, but no plated pics—turned out my phone died before I could take any. So I’ll just have to tell you that, once fried, up it was delicious. I even enjoyed the more-fat-than-meat slices.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Looks good. I just bought a belly locally for $10.18/kg and I see why it was so cheap. Mine is worse than your from a meat/fat ratio. WTF with Alberta hogs, all fat....

That's some great looking bacon Gary! I too love the smell in the fridge after resting the bacon. I've had that same problem with fat to meat ratio in some bellies, usually just try to spread it out so we don't end up with an all fat package.

Nice job
Ryan

Looks really nice from where I'm sitting Gary, Like! I reckon Forrest Gump would know about belly for bacon, you never know what you're going to get until you've got it. RAY

Looks good. I just bought a belly locally for $10.18/kg and I see why it was so cheap. Mine is worse than your from a meat/fat ratio. WTF with Alberta hogs, all fat....
I just don't know. This pig and the one before it were both raised by the same friend of mine in Alberta, just for me. The last one was great, this one not so great.
Too bad I didn't know you were in Grande Cache. I spent the summer up there, a couple of years ago. Hauling asphalt to the paver doing the highway, and hauling gravel for RoDar Construction.
Gary

That's some great looking bacon Gary! I too love the smell in the fridge after resting the bacon. I've had that same problem with fat to meat ratio in some bellies, usually just try to spread it out so we don't end up with an all fat package.

Nice job
Ryan

Yeah that's what I did too--half good, half poor.
Thanks for the like.
Gary

That looks great Gary . Nice work . I have a brat recipe that calls for a pound of fatty smoked bacon . Some of that would be perfect .
It'll render down . I bet it's great . I like the Bearcarver method too .

I'm not complaining about that ratio Gary. It looks great to me.

Point for sure
Chirs

Reactions: chopsaw
Gary, that bacon look gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful color.... I have the same problem in regard to fat/meat ration if I buy full slab of belly from Costco or from Smart Foodservice store... Lately I am buying pork belly from Filipino Supermarket where they cut a slub into three pieces. That way I can see what to expect and buy only what I like....

Great color on that fatty bacon. I have some like that out of pigs I raise. Luck of the draw I guess.

Great color on that fatty bacon. I have some like that out of pigs I raise. Luck of the draw I guess.
And I thought it was the breed or the method or feed or something that the farmer did or didn’t do. If I was a geneticist I’d be working on hogs that would be all ham and side belly. We would also have chickens with 6 legs and 10 wings. LOL

Reactions: Brokenhandle
And I thought it was the breed or the method or feed or something that the farmer did or didn’t do. If I was a geneticist I’d be working on hogs that would be all ham and side belly. We would also have chickens with 6 legs and 10 wings. LOL

I didnt say it was not what they was fed. I raise show pigs for my son to show. I butcher the ones he dont show. We will feed a fatty diet to get them to eat more if I need more weight on them. Hence the fatty bacon. But just normal feed some will have more fat. We usually have cross breeds but have a purebred too. Some pig breeds are just have more fat. Alot goes into it.

I just don't know. This pig and the one before it were both raised by the same friend of mine in Alberta, just for me. The last one was great, this one not so great.
Too bad I didn't know you were in Grande Cache. I spent the summer up there, a couple of years ago. Hauling asphalt to the paver doing the highway, and hauling gravel for RoDar Construction.
Gary
If your ever up this way again reach out, we only spend winters in Grande Cache, summer is spent at the lake in SK. Spent a couple of winters in Drayton Valley when I was seismic surveying. Gorgeous country! Was through there last February so depressing seeing the empty buildings along the highway. Without getting to political that “gentleman“ in Ottawa could care less about communities in western Canada that rely on O&G.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
I’m with you on the fatty bacon!
It’s the best, always crispy & never chewy!
I think your bacon looks fantastic!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky