Ash Trey Flavor on my food?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I believe he just means take it to 275° for an hour or so. Kills a lot of Bad Stuff, and if you have a tray of pellets in there, it'll dry them out good.

Bear
Thanks, Bear. I still don't see a need for it. As I've written, I wipe the inside of my smoker down. I wash the racks and the water bowl (since the outside gets covered with oily smoke residue where it wasn't foiled) after every smoke. Cooking at over 200°F will kill all nasties except perhaps for some hiding in contaminated shellfish. I've never sterilized my Weber OTS either. But then I eat an all-natural diet of dirt, rocks and grass so what do I know?:D

However, there is a mindset among some smoking pros that if you were blindfolded and tasted the same meat smoked with different woods you wouldn't be able to tell one from another, that they'd all taste the same.
I agree: you can definitely taste the difference. For anyone who might think otherwise, try tasting anything smoked with mesquite, probably the most pungent of all the "mainstream" wood options. It totally "takes over" the taste profile of anything you smoke with it.

Reactions: daricksta
Ya, I can tell a huge difference in some woods. Mesquite to me has a very sweet distinct flavor vs Hickory. Also i will never forget the first time I tasted something smoked with blackjack oak.

Mmmmm.. Just now pulled out my Mesquite Chicken.. This is a total victory!
20180505_175714.jpg
20180505_175723.jpg

Also just as awesome. I love that this forum allows me to upload pictures directly. Most forums you have to upload to another site and then post links.

Mailbox mod 2.jpg ...

You need air flow through the MailBox mod.... I recommend this pattern using ~7/8" holes...
AND... have the flex hose, or rigid hose on an uphill angle to the smoker body....

Thanks, Bear. I still don't see a need for it. As I've written, I wipe the inside of my smoker down. I wash the racks and the water bowl (since the outside gets covered with oily smoke residue where it wasn't foiled) after every smoke. Cooking at over 200°F will kill all nasties except perhaps for some hiding in contaminated shellfish. I've never sterilized my Weber OTS either. But then I eat an all-natural diet of dirt, rocks and grass so what do I know?:D

Yup---I never did the "Sterilizing" of my MES with 275° preheat either, but I guess if you allow your pellets to absorb Humidity, it's a better way to dry them out that Nuking them.

Bear

Yup---I never did the "Sterilizing" of my MES with 275° preheat either, but I guess if you allow your pellets to absorb Humidity, it's a better way to dry them out that Nuking them.

Bear, I've still got pellets I bought from Todd over 5 years ago. I've never had problems with humidity, even here in the Puget Sound area. Maybe I'm just fortunate. Last winter was our least humid in the 18 years I've lived here even though we got plenty of rain and some snow. When I brought out my Weber charcoal kettle grill there was no white mold, and the charcoal wasn't green. I've never had mold or any nasties inside my MES.

Yup---Never had the problem here either, and I swear it's always raining.
20 years ago I could kick up dust when mowing. Haven't seen dust here in at least those 20 years.

Bear

I agree: you can definitely taste the difference. For anyone who might think otherwise, try tasting anything smoked with mesquite, probably the most pungent of all the "mainstream" wood options. It totally "takes over" the taste profile of anything you smoke with it.
John, a couple of years ago my daughter bought me an all-day BBQ class in Seattle for Father's Day. It was an amazing and treasured day, but the instructor (who owns the business) was the one who said you can't tell the difference in tastes between wood pellets in a blind tasting of smoked food. I also disagree with that. He also said that once the pellicle forms after about 4 hours on the outside of meats no more smoke can be absorbed. I disagreed with him about that as well.

Yup---Never had the problem here either, and I swear it's always raining.
20 years ago I could kick up dust when mowing. Haven't seen dust here in at least those 20 years.

Bear
Our weather is at the mercy of the two bratty young Spanish siblings: El Niño and La Niña. The latter is in the process of fading away and we don't yet know if her brother is going to take her place later this year.

John, a couple of years ago my daughter bought me an all-day BBQ class in Seattle for Father's Day. It was an amazing and treasured day, but the instructor (who owns the business) was the one who said you can't tell the difference in tastes between wood pellets in a blind tasting of smoked food. I also disagree with that. He also said that once the pellicle forms after about 4 hours on the outside of meats no more smoke can be absorbed. I disagreed with him about that as well.

Hmmm, Reminds me of an old saying---> "Those who can, do, and those who can't, Teach".
I don't normally agree with that, but sometimes it fits.

Bear

Hmmm, Reminds me of an old saying---> "Those who can, do, and those who can't, Teach".
I don't normally agree with that, but sometimes it fits. Bear
I almost always agree with that.

I think there may be a corollary for the Internet: "Those who can, do, and those who can't, they post on the Internet."

I don't normally agree with that, but sometimes it fits.

I know that you and others here on SMF have corrected him on these issues. But I just let that his incorrect info slide because on that day I got to use a Trager and a BGE, help season a beef brisket and taste all kinds of great stuff. There was something like 20-30 of us there on a beautiful warm sunny day. And I got some great recipes, too.

I know that you and others here on SMF have corrected him on these issues. But I just let that his incorrect info slide because on that day I got to use a Trager and a BGE, help season a beef brisket and taste all kinds of great stuff. There was something like 20-30 of us there on a beautiful warm sunny day. And I got some great recipes, too.

Definitely Worth it then!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky