Arcid taste in meat, especially chicken, please help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The OP's statement above in bold is the reason for the taste issues. I don't load the meat for at least an hour after loading the hot coals. It takes that long for the smoke to show hits of blue and a clean burning fire.

I'm biting my tongue about the charcoal used because it is so popular. It works in a smoker, but loading meat too soon will only magnify the taste issue.

Yeah, from the replies here it seems like that is the change that will yield the biggest improvement. And please, do chime in on what type of charcoal you prefer. I use KBB due to so many reports of the WSM being pretty much designed for that exact charcoal structure and size (even more so than Weber's own charcoal brand). I've seen reports of problems in the WSM when more exotic charcoals are used, but if you have other experience please share!

You're in Chantilly! I grew up in Chantilly,well,what was Chantilly.Moved to Bull Run mountain in '95 and out here in '05.
Royal Oak charcoal.They also make it for a handful of people.Embers - Home Cheapo,Expert Grill - Walmart and a few more...If it has the ridges ,it's RO.

Ha, well not to digress too much the wife and I might consider moving to Winchester one day. Get away from the madness that is modern Nova.

Regarding Royal Oak, how well does natural wood charcoal work in the WSM, in terms of maintaining a steady temp? Do you have to do a lot more adjusting throughout a cook?

Natural lump has a tendency to burn hotter for me and does not give the consistency of burn time because of the irregular size and shape.You can damn near set your watch by a full ring of RO briquettes,very consistent.I use lump in my kettle for grilling/searing though,as you can get it screaming hot.IMO it has no positives over briquettes in the WSM,only negatives and costs more to boot.

Ah I see now Royal Oak sells both lump and briquettes, at first I only saw the lump coming back in my searches and thought you were talking exclusively about lump. I will try RO Briquettes next time too!

The instruction manual for the WSM was written a LOOOOONG TIME ago when KBB was a different charcoal; dense and packed with good and bad things that made it hot, great for grilling and long lasting for the smoker. KBB started changing their formula, but the instruction manual for the WSM hasn't changed.

RO Ridge briquettes are still dense (25% denser per briquette than KBB) and hold heat well. The only change I made when switching to RO from KBB was to use 1/4 to 1/2 as many hot briquettes to start my fire. I still fully load the charcoal basket with cold briquettes and wood, then knock the ash off before the next smoke, clean out the bowl if necessary, then add more cold and wood depending on the length of the smoke.

Off season, the best prices per pound on RO Ridge is usually Walmart's store brand of Expert Grill. HD has started selling 2x20 lbs of Embers for $9.98 when it is on sale. $14.98 is the regular price. Embers is their Ridge store brand.

The big sales start in the Spring, usually around Easter to mid-April. That's when you stock up for the year.

Edit: Interesting note. I just checked HD's website and they have KBB 2x18.6 lb on sale in mid-January for $9.98. It looks like they are trying to eliminate the KBB 2x18.6 lb stock because they are switching to 2x20 lb bundles, same as the Embers Brand. So, if you still use KBB, stock up.

Last edited:
I had this same issue when I first started using my WSM. I definitely believe it was due to putting the meat on too early before the KBB began burning clean. Recently, on the rare occasion that I use KBB, it also seems to be a lot smokier than before for the first 45 minutes or so. I've read on other forums that the KBB's quality seems to have diminished of late so maybe there was some change in production that caused the lack of consistency and additional smoke?

I've since switched to lump (mainly RO Lump) for the past 2+ years. On my 18.5" WSM, it does seem to burn hotter but it works fine for me even for a 10-12 hour cook at 225-250 degrees. (On my 22" WSM, that isn't the case, though...it is leaky and I haven't replaced the door or put gaskets on it yet.) I use a modified minion method by using an old Bush's Beans can with both the top and bottom removed to put my hot coals in the hollow center of the "donut". Once it seems to be burning well in the can (which also acts like a chimney), I remove it with tongs, put the smoker together and wait for it to get up to temp and burn clean (usually 30-45 minutes) before putting my meat on.

Side note: I'm from Fredericksburg...not too far from Chantilly. I make it up to (or through) Winchester a few times of year, too. Small world. I bought my well-used 22" WSM for $160 from a guy up in Haymarket.

Great advise all around. I used to have the same problem when I smoke something in my Weber kettle. Have to wait for the smoke to clear up, can take a 1/2 hour or so. In addition, I also put the chicken in the fridge overnight and it dries out the skin perfectly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky